Problems with notification activity.

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Maveric
Participant

Post by Maveric »

You dont need a user name or password to send mail by SMTP. Try using DSSendMailAttachmentTester routine and see if it helps.
jusami25
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jusami25 »

Maveric wrote:You dont need a user name or password to send mail by SMTP. Try using DSSendMailAttachmentTester routine and see if it helps.
Hi Maveric,

I have tried DSSendMailAttachmentTester routine with the next parameters:

ToAddress: mymail@hotmail.com
FromAddress: mymail@hotmail.com
Subject: Testing
SMTPServer: EMPTY
Attachments: "the test file"
MessageBody: Test
Resut: No Error

I have to use the smtp for hotmail?

This is my dsssendmail.txt file:

#! /bin/sh
/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i<<////
To: %to%
Subject: %subject%
%body%
////
Maveric
Participant

Post by Maveric »

Since the status says "No Error", check after a while. Might have a time lag before the mail has actually reaches your inbox. And SMTP is not required for UNIX installations. That is y it is not there in the template.
prashkvrk
Participant

Post by prashkvrk »

I just want to add few more for this.
Firstly, there would be time lag. Also sometimes the unwanted emails may reach junk folder or bulk folder and sometimes it wont reach. Try this out using your Official ID. Generally it works out fine for the official IDs. I have tried this(official ID). It works fine ! :)
jusami25
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jusami25 »

Thanks Maveric i will give it sometime to see what happen.
prashkvrk wrote:I just want to add few more for this.
Firstly, there would be time lag. Also sometimes the unwanted emails may reach junk folder or bulk folder and sometimes it wont reach. Try this out using your Official ID. Generally it works out fine for the official IDs. I have tried this(official ID). It works fine ! :)
Hi prashkvrk,

What do you mean with Official ID?
prashkvrk
Participant

Post by prashkvrk »

jusami25 wrote:Thanks Maveric i will give it sometime to see what happen.
prashkvrk wrote:I just want to add few more for this.
Hi prashkvrk,

What do you mean with Official ID?

official ID can be your company id!
like: lastname.firsname@company(thecompanyname in which u r working).com

eg:cruise.tom@hollywood.com :D
(sorry i don't want to give my company id here as an example :( )! hope u got it !
jusami25
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jusami25 »

I got it hehehehe i will try it. Thanks.
prashkvrk
Participant

Post by prashkvrk »

since the corporate offices use microsoft outlook, the chance of mails reaching the inbox is very high even though if there is any junk(until your company has any restrictions)!
Hotmail,gmail,yahoo has a bulk folder, so most of the mails will be directed to the bulk folder !!! :(
jusami25
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jusami25 »

prashkvrk wrote:since the corporate offices use microsoft outlook, the chance of mails reaching the inbox is very high even though if there is any junk(until your company has any restrictions)!
Hotmail,gmail,yahoo has a bulk folder, so most of the mails will be directed to the bulk folder !!! :(
I think my company has restrictions because I don't recieve the mail of the test.

And i can view this bulk folder? Or it can't be viewed.

Thanks for all your responses.
prashkvrk
Participant

Post by prashkvrk »

yes, you can check it out in your bulk folder of hotmail !!!keep refreshing the page and as maveric said there could be a time lag!
jusami25
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jusami25 »

Thanks to all for your responses, today i have recieved 2 mails with the subject test in my hotmail direction but with no attached files. And the sender is "tset@localhost.localdomain" it seems to be the standard configuration of the domain in the server...any idea?

Thanks.
prashkvrk
Participant

Post by prashkvrk »

hi,
are you getting likethis in the body of the mail:
"WARNING - MISSING ATTACHMENT" and the body that you have given.
and also do you have an attachement but the attached file is empty??
snt_ds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by snt_ds »

Are you trying this for incase of any job aborts,If it is the case use one uservariable activity stage and give the specific environments and in the notification activity of attachments part use the log path as attachment.
jusami25
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jusami25 »

snt_ds wrote:Are you trying this for incase of any job aborts,If it is the case use one uservariable activity stage and give the specific environments and in the notification activity of attachments part use the log path as attachment.
I have a job that load some data doing some lookups, if this lookup fails for a row this row is sent to an error file. After that job with a routine i check if the error file exist and the size is > 0 if that happens then a mail is sent with the error file attached. The routine work as the conditional to send or not the mail.
prashkvrk
Participant

Post by prashkvrk »

hi,
have you checked with the condition that if the look up fails, is the error file getting created in the path that you have specified?
if the error file gets created then only your routine says the memory size>0.
if there is no error file and look is working fine, then the obviously the error file won't get created and hence there wont be any attachment. Also, can you please tell the body of the mail that you got?
in case if look is failing and you want the error file to be sent as an email attachment,Just checkout by changing some data in sorce stream or ref link and make sure that lookup fails and also make sure that you give look up failure condition as REJECT !!