SSIS to Datastage migration

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

SSIS to Datastage migration

Post by VCInDSX »

Hi,
Has anyone worked on porting SSIS to Datastage? There are certain jobs implemented in SSIS that we have been asked to review and also expand in the short term until we move to Datastage.
Is it possible to migrate these SSIS jobs into Datastage in the future or is it better to re-write them to take full advantage of the functionality of Datastage?
I have no idea of SSIS implementation but have some minimal experience with Datastage Server and Parallel jobs.

Your input will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time.
V
-V
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are no conversion tools except the one inside your skull.

Evaluate the logic of the SSIS jobs (if you're really lucky read the documentation produced by the SSIS implementer), and implement that logic as one or more DataStage jobs and job sequence.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

One thing your SSIS developers might have done is leveraged a lot of SQL Server stored procedures. SSIS is an ETL tool that is capable of running transformations outside of the SQL Server RDBMS engine but a lot of DTS users are more familiar with stored procedures and do a lot of the transformation there. You might be able to migrate to DataStage jobs but use the ODBC stage to call existing stored procedures as a data source to re-use production code.

Other than that the DataStage jobs are a redesign. You can start with the SSIS job designs and use them if they fit well with DataStage.
VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by VCInDSX »

Thanks a lot for your time and inputs Ray and vmcburney. Appreciate it much. Now I have a fair understanding of what it would take to port the SSIS to Datastage.
It is always an interesting challenge when it comes to a deciding what portions are better left to reside in Stored procedures and what should be in stages/transforms.
I will get back to the group if i need have any specific queries.

Thanks again,
V
-V