Compare strings

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

RAI ROUSES
Participant

Compare strings

Post by RAI ROUSES »

we have created an unique key that result in the aggregation of some fields, we have detect for the same product we have different type of products identification
- ABCDE (correct key)
- ACDE
- ABBDE
- ABDCE

Representing ACDE, ABBDE and ABDCE the same product ABCDE. DataStage have any function that allows to compare these 4 registers and identify that they represent the same product (key)?

Can i use instrctions "like" and "%" ?

cheers
Rai 8)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Take DataStage out of the picture for now. How, regardless of tool, would you determine that those four 'incorrect' keys should really be mapped or equated to your one 'correct' key?

Answer that question, quantify the business rule / requirements, and then worry about - "Ok, how do I do that in DataStage?".
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Sage advice. Write a specification of how matches are to be identified and only then worry about a tool. It may be, for example, that QualityStage is a better tool. Yes, DataStage can do pattern matching, but what does it have to match? QualityStage can do probabilistic matching, rather than deterministic, which may yield more appropriate results. But, without a specification, who would know?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.