How to send SMS about the status of sequence job?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rafik2k
Participant

How to send SMS about the status of sequence job?

Post by rafik2k »

Hi All,
We have created one main sequence job which inturn calls another 15 inner sequence jobs. There is almost total 250 jobs in the sequence and which takes almost 24 hours to finish.

My requirement is to send status (success/abort/fail) SMS message upon completion of each inner sequence jobs.

Could you please anyone let me know what is pre-requisite on the same and what are the steps I need to setup in order to send SMS on cell.

Any help or information on same would be a great help.

Thanks and Regards,
Rafik
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

There is no builtin SMS send utility in DataStage, but most service providers have utlities that redirect email to SMS. Since you can call programs from DataStage and all mail utilities that I know of have some sort of command line interface you can solve your problem that way. DataStage even comes with an email template script that you can use or modify to your liking.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So, just send a short email to their cell phone 'email address'. For example, I send messages to my Sprint phone using '##########@messaging.sprintpcs.com' as the 'send to' address where the #s are the 10 digit phone number. No template tweaking or change of any kind needed. All carriers seem to have something equivalent.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rafik2k
Participant

Post by rafik2k »

Thanks ArndW and Craig for sharing valuable information.

I will test the jobs and will let know the outcomes.

Thanks and Regards,
Rafikul
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It may be that Sprint does not extend to South Africa, but most mobile phone providers have a similar service.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rafik2k
Participant

Post by rafik2k »

ray.wurlod wrote:It may be that Sprint does not extend to South Africa, but most mobile phone providers have a similar service. ...

Thanks Ray :lol:
I will check that and will send SMS at ray.craig.ArndW@dsxchange.com
prashkvrk
Participant

Post by prashkvrk »

As Ray said, an email can be redirected to a mobile as an sms. However not in all service providers we have this option. Here in India even though there is this option of sending an email to a mobile as an sms, most of the time it doesn't work. But I am not sure whether this is applicable to CDMA mobiles also!
I think you can try this. In Recepient email adress you can give like this:
mobilenumber@serviceprovider.com..

But please note that not all mobile service providers give this option of sending an email as an sms ! :(

Prasad !