Limiting access to only view the job log.

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

michaeld
Premium Member
Premium Member

Limiting access to only view the job log.

Post by michaeld »

Is there any way to limiting access in director to only be able to view the job log? We want our developer to be able to view the production job log, but not be able to run the jobs. So granting operator access is not an option. Does anybody know if this is possible? I can't think of any way to do it, but maybe someone has a good idea.

My approach is to create a web interface to dsjob.exe utilizing the -logsum and -logdetail commands. However, I wish it would be possible just to do it in datastage without any external scripts.
Mike
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Add this user to a group to which the DataStage Operator role only is assigned, and to no group to which the DataStage Developer role is assigned for this project. Check the "operator can view full log" when configuring DataStage roles for this project.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
michaeld
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by michaeld »

view the production job log, but not be able to run the jobs. So granting operator access is not an option
An operator can run jobs. I do not want the user to be able to run jobs.
Mike
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You'll need to find some other mechanism to deliver log information to them, something other than Director as you've already noted. I don't believe there is any such mechanism built into the Client tools that would allow log looking but not job running.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mctny
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by mctny »

is there a limited number of jobs you don't want that operator to be able to run, or is it all the jobs? if it is the first case you can do some workaround.
Thanks,
Chad
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Such as?
-craig

mctny
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by mctny »

chulett wrote:Such as?
it will be a naive way but you can make the job aborted when he tries to run with his username. for other users the jobs can run without abort.
Thanks,
Chad

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Operator role can only run released jobs. I'm prepared to bet you have none of these.

The Super Operator role has been introduced at version 8.0 to allow running of all runnable jobs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... forgot about that little wrinkle. Usually that's considered a Bad Thing, but here... not so much. :wink:

'Super' Operator role, eh? Nice to know.
-craig

michaeld
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by michaeld »

The Operator role can only run released jobs. I'm prepared to bet you have none of these.
Ray, I'm runing parallel jobs in windows. As far as I know there is no such thing as releasing parallel jobs. So, the operator can run them.

Any other ideas?
Mike
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, what it should mean is since the Operator role can only see 'released' jobs, there's nothing to see and thus nothing to run.
-craig