Problem creating indexes!

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hamzaqk
Participant

Problem creating indexes!

Post by hamzaqk »

Reading through the posts and trying to create indexes on a sample hash file.

1. when i set try to enter a VOC entry it gives me a warning. that the 'DICT file path ' physical path name' does not exist, though it does create a link after it

2. when i try to create index on a hash file by CREATE.INDEX HASH_FILE_DEMO COL A , it says unable to open hash file or not a valid hash file.

any tips ... cause i have tried everythin which is already been said in the previous posts pertaining to this.

thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Problem #2 is caused by problem #1. And for #1, the 'physical path name' must be the full path to the hashed file, including the hashed file name.

Post your syntax if you still can't get it to work.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Any reason not to post a question that is obviously about a server job in the forum for server jobs?

There's no such thing as a hash file (other than a tool for shaping a block of hash). How did you attempt to create one?

Assuming the thing that you attempted to create was a hashed file, how did you create that? The answer to that question will affect the proper answer to the questions you posted in this thread.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

If you edit your VOC entry for this hashed file then there should 3 lines.

ED VOC DS_AUDIT
3 lines long.

----: P
0001: F Ardent DataStage Repository file
0002: DS_AUDIT
0003: D_DS_AUDIT
Bottom at line 3.
----: EX

Line 1 says it is a F-pointer or file pointer.
Line 2 is the DATA side of this hashed file.
Line 3 is the DICT side of this hashed file. DICT is the dictionary or the column for this hased file or if you will this table.

The DATA side and the DICT side need to exist at the OS level.
Mamu Kim
hamzaqk
Participant

Post by hamzaqk »

thanks chulett...... was missing the file name in the phycial path. its working now and giving me no warnings when creating a VOC entry.