Simple encryption result is displaying in log

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ultramundane
Participant

Simple encryption result is displaying in log

Post by Ultramundane »

Is there a way to prevent the encrypted parameter result of the simple encryption algorithm from being displayed when in director and selecting a job?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I don't believe so.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

ray.wurlod wrote:I don't believe so. ...
Thanks.

I am going to open a case because it took me only a few minutes to determine the function and that an inverse function exists.
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

Ultramundane wrote:it took me only a few minutes to determine the function and that an inverse function exists.
Hmmm!! :wink:

gateleys
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

gateleys wrote:
Ultramundane wrote:it took me only a few minutes to determine the function and that an inverse function exists.
Hmmm!! :wink:

gateleys
Which of course yields the database passwords from the last run.

If you want to get the default password for a job, and you can read the job, you can copy it (or edit without saving), delete the old job contents except the parameters, and use the command
echo #I_GOT_YOUR_PASSWORD#
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

Ultramundane wrote: Which of course yields the database passwords from the last run.

If you want to get the default password for a job, and you can read the job, you can copy it (or edit without saving), delete the old job contents except the parameters, and use the command
echo #I_GOT_YOUR_PASSWORD#
I don't know what you were trying to say in the above quote.

Anyhow, did you get to talk to your support folks? Do drop in a line if they give you a 'YES, you can restrict the encrypted password from appearing in the job log' response.

gateleys
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

I don't know what you were trying to say in the above quote.

If you can read someone's job, you can open it and replace the contents with an External Source stage (for example) and run the OS command "echo" against any encrypted parameter that they have specified a default for and you can see their default value.

Anyhow, did you get to talk to your support folks? Do drop in a line if they give you a 'YES, you can restrict the encrypted password from appearing in the job log' response.

Yep. We have a case open and they are going to fix the issue of the encrypted strings showing up in the status files and when you double click on the job log in director.
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

Really!! I didn't know that (and of course, so many other things). I will give that a try...., but am sure my DBAs will not like that. Could be a SOX issue.

gateleys
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

gateleys wrote:Really!! I didn't know that (and of course, so many other things). I will give that a try...., but am sure my DBAs will not like that. Could be a SOX issue.

gateleys
Yes, those are all SOX issues. They are also PCI and HIPAA issues.