Performance altered by links in transformer

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

boligoma
Premium Member
Premium Member

Performance altered by links in transformer

Post by boligoma »

Hi,

I have a job that gets data from a sequential file and insert it to an Oracle table. This job runs fine (300,000 rows in 5 minutes more or less) until I put several links of other Oracle table in the transformer in order to get more data.

The problem here is that is a fact table with artificial keys. I have to join the dimentions with one or more keys in order to insert the artifical one into the fact by reference links in the transformer stage. I need to include four different dimentions. The performance of the job goes from 1000 rows per second to 14 rows per second. The dimentions are Oracle tables.

I've already change the Array Size and the Transaction Size but is the same result. Any ideas? I want to change the job so the transformer stage doesn't have more than one reference link but I don't what other stage can help me.

I'm using DS 7.2 with Oracle 9.

Thanks,
Ismael Martinez
Intellego SC
www.grupointellego.com
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Unload your dimension tables (surrogate key and natural key(s) only) in seperate hashed files. Do a lookup against these hashed files instead of going directly against the database. You should see a boost in performance.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
boligoma
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by boligoma »

It helped me a lot in performance. I have another doubt concerning hash files but I better insert a new post because it got nothing to do with performance.

Thanks a lot!!!
Ismael Martinez
Intellego SC
www.grupointellego.com