Job disappeared after migrating with Version Control

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shured
Participant

Job disappeared after migrating with Version Control

Post by shured »

Hi,

Strange thing. Server Job exists in both Dev and Test. After migrating to job from Dev to Test, all datastage clients (manager, developer, director, version control) tell me the job is not in Test.

During the migration, I can see the job being migrated and compiled. Restarting the Datastage services doesn't help. And then if I export and import the job, the manager tells me the job is there, but it just won't show up in the clients.

- What can be wrong?

- And is there any other software packag available that can do datastage migrations? Please advice.

- If I work with exporting and importing the job, is there a way to make it read-only again?

Kind regards,
Shured
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"Disappear" might mean that the CATEGORY index has become out of date. This can be fixed using the DS.REINDEX ALL command (search the forum for detailed instructions). Note that Version Control ceases to exist from version 8.0.

If you prefer export/import, you can set the read-only field (called READONLY) with a simple UPDATE statement (again, search the forum for detailed instructions). Note that this technique may not work in future releases.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Welcome! Known 'parasite' bug with Version Control. The job exists - it is just no longer in the catorgory it should be and, when you find and open it, you'll find the contents are another job entirely. Open it from VC to verify the presense of the parasite. :wink:

Find out where it ended up with the following query in Administrator:

Code: Select all

SELECT CATEGORY FROM DS_JOBS WHERE NAME = 'YourJob>';
Or a filter in Directory combined which deselection of the 'Show Categories' option will find it. The former is... quicker.

The solution is to Initialize and Promote again. The version you 'lost' is useless. I find this happens when you sit in Version Control for a period of time - do some promotions, do other things, come back to VC, etc. You can avoid this problem by doing your VC work and then get right out, don't park yourself in the VC app for any reason.

Let us know if that's the case.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
shured
Participant

Post by shured »

You are the man! Dropping the filter on the categories did the trick. After deleting the job and initialising and promoting again the problem was fixed. Mucho thank you!

Kind regards,
Shured
newtier
Premium Member
Premium Member

Job Disappeared - patch

Post by newtier »

We received a client-side patch from IBM for this. It is an "every other" promotion error.

Recommend opening an issue with IBM and get the benefit of your support $. Below is an e-case you can reference:

ecase 451945
Rick H
Senior Consultant