Storage calculation

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kudaka
Premium Member
Premium Member

Storage calculation

Post by kudaka »

Anybody can guide me to calculate storage required for working files? What to consider for calculating disk space required for staging, temp, hash, reject files etc. I also want to know space requrements for each project. Please send back any questions, if my inquiry is not clear.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The amount of storage required depends upon several factors, starting with the amount of data you have and then depending upon what you are doing with this data - if you pass the data through and just do transformations the amount of temp storage can be as small as 0. If you store all your data in interim hashed files and also perform operations like sorting your requirements for temporary storage will be a lot higher.

Syou would need to know what sort of operations you are performing on what volume of data. If you didn't write the jobs you would need to go and look into the jobs to see what sort of operations the original designers implemented.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: Storage calculation

Post by ray.wurlod »

kudaka wrote:Anybody can guide me to calculate storage required for working files? What to consider for calculating disk space required for staging, temp, hash, reject files etc. I also want to know space requrements for each project. Please send back any questions, if my inquiry is not clear.
How long is a piece of string? Arnd has barely touched the variables. The only sensible answer is "it depends". How much staging, for example, are you planning to do? The vendor, rather optimistically, suggests that parallel jobs keep data in memory at all times, so staging = 0. This is impractical.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.