validating export schema

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sjordery
Premium Member
Premium Member

validating export schema

Post by sjordery »

Hi,
I am getting the following error when sending a column from a database table to seq file.

Sequential_File_12: When checking operator: When validating export schema: At field "file_processing_start_time": "null_field" length (0) must match field's fixed width (19)

The mentioned file_processing_time is a column of timestamp data type having length 23.While running the job data is nt getting transferred due the above error.

Can anybody suggest what this error exactly specifying.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Because the file is defined as fixed width, the Null Field Value must have the same number of characters as a non-null value in that field. In this case, apparently, 19 characters. Nineteen space characters would do. Twenty-three character timestamp would NOT do. A zero-length string (""), which is what you currently have set, will NOT do.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sjordery
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjordery »

Hi,

Actually I have not specified any fixed width size.
I have simply loaded the metadata from the database table while defining columns in the sequential file.
But while running the above mentioned error is showing.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

sjordery wrote:Actually I have not specified any fixed width size.
Which is exactly the problem. Reread the error message, it's not that hard to understand, especially in light of Ray's comments.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers