Migrating Information Analyzer objects to v8.5

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Migrating Information Analyzer objects to v8.5

Post by vivekgadwal »

All,

We are upgrading our IIS to version 8.5 and I've been entrusted with this task. I have never delved into Information Analyzer and I must confess that my knowledge is next to nothing on this tool. I've been going through some posts on this site and also some manuals to figure out what I need to do in order to migrate IA objects from version 8.0 to version 8.5.

I have the following questions:
1) How do I export/import the IA projects?
2) How do I export/import the IA jobs/scripts (I understand that IA produces OSH scripts that can be run from Director)?
3) How to preserve the results of the Column Analysis performed in v8.0 going forward into the new release?
4) How to preserve the scheduling of these IA jobs/scripts?
5) How do I carry forward the Metadata in IA? -- I am not sure if this is related to any above questions
6) How do I carry forward the connection information that IA uses in v8.0?

I would appreciate it if you can shed a little more light to me on these and I apologize if these topics have already been discussed here to death as I did not find them so far...

Thanks and regards,
Vivek.
Vivek Gadwal

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You should prefer istool (or Information Server Manager) as the tool for migrating Information Analyzer projects. The new Migration Assistant might also be useful but it has some deficiencies - for example it can only migrate into a brand new, unchanged, environment.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

Thanks for your response Ray.

I do not know much about ISTOOL or the Information Server Manager. I am under the impression that the latter is new to v8.5. If so, how can I use that to migrate the old objects? Where can I find documentation for the ISTOOL? I will try to search here...

Also, there is an IADB database that my DBA said would be copied into another location for me to test. Does that migrate the Column Analysis results and other results too?
Vivek Gadwal

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Information Server Manager been around since at least 7.5. Can't be sure about its command line interface istool but that's definitely in 8.0.1.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

I did not see Information Server Manager in the installed Client Components. Is it a special set-up that we need to do to get this client component? I will check on the ISTOOL.

Does IADB migrate the Column Analysis results and other results too as well as the schedules?
Vivek Gadwal

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

IADB is a database - it doesn't migrate anything. It may be the case that Information Server Manager was not installed in your client.
vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

Thanks for the reply Ray.

I see this in our IBM Client Release notes
IBM wrote: IBM Information Server combines the technologies within the IBM Information Integration portfolio into a single unified platform that enables you to understand, cleanse, transform, and deliver trustworthy and context-rich information. IBM Information Server is comprised of the following product modules:

* IBM WebSphere(R) Business Glossary
* IBM WebSphere DataStage
* IBM WebSphere Federation Server
* IBM WebSphere Information Analyzer
* IBM WebSphere Information Services Director
* IBM WebSphere Metadata Server
* IBM WebSphere QualityStage
I do not see the Information Server Manager at all in here. I asked our Admin and he says he is unaware of this component. How do I see if this is installed or at least part of our installation package?
Vivek Gadwal

vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

I was reading about this online and in IBM site, it says that
"For UNIX or Linux, the istool command framework is located in: installation_directory/Clients/istools/cli, where installation_directory is the directory where you installed InfoSphere Information Server. For example, /opt/IBM/InformationServer."
I checked in our IIS box and the directory "Clients" doesn't exist at all. Is that a matter of concern or a matter of just not having the license of this too?
Vivek Gadwal

vivekgadwal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vivekgadwal »

Sorry for these frequent updates. I was right initially in saying the IS Manager is not available for 8.0. It was introduced beginning 8.1.

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/infosphere/ ... e-81-27522

I am back to square one again :) . How do I accomplish this? Please suggest...
Vivek Gadwal

tcheslav
Participant

Post by tcheslav »

vivekgadwal wrote:Sorry for these frequent updates. I was right initially in saying the IS Manager is not available for 8.0. It was introduced beginning 8.1.

Hi

Can't You just use ismigration tool to migrate everything (DS projects/jobs, metadata repository, ia database).

I'm asking, because I' just after migration from 8.1 to 8.5. ismigration tool is quite powerfull.

Regards
Tches
tcheslav
Participant

Post by tcheslav »

vivekgadwal wrote:Sorry for these frequent updates. I was right initially in saying the IS Manager is not available for 8.0. It was introduced beginning 8.1.

Hi

Can't You just use ismigration tool to migrate everything (DS projects/jobs, metadata repository, ia database).

I'm asking, because I' just after migration from 8.1 to 8.5. ismigration tool is quite powerfull.

Regards
Tches