DSN's for Information Analyzer

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

Althaf6553
Participant

DSN's for Information Analyzer

Post by Althaf6553 »

Hi All,

We have recently migrated IBM Information Server from Windows to Unix box.

Earlier in windows,we use to create a System DSN' for a profiling Db2 database. and use that DSN in information Analyzer for creating reports.

But now as the Information Server is migrated to Unix ..We have made DSN entries in the .odbc.ini file in DSEngine folder of Information server

We tried to use the same DSN in information Analyzer but in vain...

We are getting the following error while we select ODBC Connector while configuring a Data store in information Analyzer

"Unable to connect to selected conatiner.Please check whether the connector has been installed on the engine tier system"

Please let me know if there is a specific method how we configure a DSN for IA and use the ODBC connector in IA Data store to use the DSN.
Althaf
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You need a DSN for the IA DB and DSNs for each data source being profiled on the engine tier. You also need them on the client (for metadata, not for data).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Althaf6553
Participant

Post by Althaf6553 »

Thanks a lot for the response.....I know where to configure these DSN's for a datastage environment.Please guide me to the place it would be done for Information Analyzer...
Althaf
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Same place(s). If the ANALYZERPROJECT project has a uvodbc.config file make sure that the DSNs are mentioned in there.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Althaf6553
Participant

Post by Althaf6553 »

I did the same as mentioned by you,
i.e

1)specfying the ODBC connections in .odbc.ini file at
Server/DSEngine
for Information Analyzer Analysis Database and DSN's for databases where i need to do profiling (followed the steps on IBM site)..

Code: Select all

[IADBDB2]
Driver=/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/branded_odbc/lib/VMdb222.so
Description=DataDirect DB2 Wire Protocol Driver
AddStringToCreateTable=
AlternateID=
Database=<DATABASE NAME>
DynamicSections=100
GrantAuthid=PUBLIC
GrantExecute=1
IpAddress=<IPADDRESS DB SERVER>
IsolationLevel=CURSOR_STABILITY
LogonID=<unsmae>
Password=<pwd>
Package=iadb
PackageOwner=
TcpPort=50000
WithHold=1
2) After making an entry for above databases .I mooved ahead to make an entry into uvodbc.config file as below

<IADBDB2>
DBMSTYPE = ODBC
I started off by checking on the Analysis settings on information Analyzer.As soon as i open I get the error below

com.ascential.investigate.cas.exception.CASConnectionException: Failed to create a Connection
I move ahead and try to check connection settings for Analysis engine which is succeded ,But when i try to check connection for analysis database .I find the ODBC drop down list empty.

Can any one please help out what i am doing wrong.

I need to configure my analysis settings and connect to my profiling databases to carry on profiling on my newly installed Information server 8.5 on a Unix AIX 6.1
Althaf
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are two uvodbc.config files, one in DSEngine, the other in ANALYZERPROJECT. Have you mentioned the DSN in both?
Althaf6553
Participant

Post by Althaf6553 »

Yes i have changed both of them
Althaf
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you connect to these data sources using an ODBC Connector in a DataStage job?
Althaf6553
Participant

Post by Althaf6553 »

Hi Ray,

I am able to connect and load the data too..

Forgot to mention that its tier topology

Where we have Engine tier,Service tier and client tier.
Althaf
Althaf6553
Participant

Post by Althaf6553 »

Also please let us know if there are any specific agents which should run for information analyzer to connect to the connectors and DSN's on the engine tier

We have our DSN's installed on the Enginer tier when information Analyzer project and DS resides.

Where exactly at each tier ,what needs to be installed so that my client can talk to the engine.

We have repository installed on Service Tier on different machine on (Db2 .OS Unix AIX 6.1),Engines on Engine tier (Unix AIX 6.1)and my client on a client tier(Windows XP)..

Please help
Althaf
Althaf6553
Participant

Post by Althaf6553 »

Does the patch_JR38573_client_windows_8500 from IBM help?
Althaf
stuartjvnorton
Participant

Post by stuartjvnorton »

So you are saying you have it installed over multiple machines?

Make sure your RPC daemon and NodeAgents have started on the other box, so they can talk to the Services tier properly.