v8.1 client issues

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

v8.1 client issues

Post by tonystark622 »

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I posted.

I just loaded v8.1 Datastage client on a PC that already had v7.5.1a client loaded. The v8.1 client installer also installed v8.1 Multi-Client Manager.

I run Multi-client Manager and select v7.5.1a. After it returns I try to login to any of the DataStage v7.5.1a client tools, I get "Client License is missing or incorrect". I am dead in the water with this. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

FYI, I called IBM Support with this issue yesterday afternoon and haven't had a call back on it yet. Sigh.

Thanks for your help,
Tony
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Tony, you're probably gonna get whacked for posting in the wrong forum, but be that as it may... I'm assuming the 8.1 client installed to a separate, completely different location than the 7 client - yes? As in nothing of the original installation was overwritten by the new one?

Almost forgot, does the 8.1 client work if you switch back to it?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Dang, I didn't notice what forum I was in. I wonder if I can get the webmaster to move this to the right forum?

The v8.1 client appears to work... But I keep getting "Invalid username/password" when I try to login as the Administrative user. I did change the admin user to 'dsadescm' when I installed the client, so maybe that's the issue. I have a call open to IBM support on this problem too.

Thanks,
Tony
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Didn't answer my install question re: location.

The admin user designation is part of the client install? :?
-craig

tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

No, I was goofy...

I specified an alternate DataStage Administrative user 'dsadescm' when I installed the server. Sorry.

At any rate, I can't login to v8.1 because I get "Invalid username/password". And I can't use the v7.5.1a client because I get "Client license missing or incorrect".

AND, I'm still playing phone tag with IBM Support.
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Oh, and the v8.1 client is installed in a separate location from the v7.5.1a client software.

Tony
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

Tony, are you under the administrators group on that particular PC? If yes, you can give a try uninstalling 8.1 and see whether 7.5.1a works. Practically speaking, it should not work.

So while waiting for IBM, you can uninstall both version clients and re-install them one by one.

After uninstalling 8.1 from add/remove programs, you need to delete the 'InformationServer' folder which might exist in the installation directory. Also, the installshield under C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Universal\IBM
Kandy
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

I was able to fix this issue with IBM Support's help.

I ran DataStage Administrator and "logged in" using the dsadm login/pw.

It gave me an error, but clicking "OK" eventually brought the DS Administrator tool up. I clicked on the Licensing tab.

On the "Client License" side, I clicked the "Change" button, put in the License information requested and clicked the "OK" button.

I closed the DS Administrator client and was then able to login with the other DataStage v7.5.1a client tools (designer, manager, director).
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... but can you switch back and forth at will?
-craig

tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Yes, that works too. Or at least it does so far.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

FYI... this just saved my bacon as I had the issue after installing the 8.1 client - 7.5.2 gave me the same stupid message after switching back.

All better now! :D

(mmm... bacon)
-craig

tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Now let's see if you have one of my other problems with DS v8.1 client...

When I click on the Windows 'start' button, I have the DS v7.5.1a program shorts "pinned" on the top left side of the menu. Whenever I switch from v8.1 back to v7.5.1a... All the DataStage shortcuts in that area have the right names, but they all point to ".../admin.exe", the administrator, rather than the program they're supposed to refer to (designer.exe, manager.exe, etc).

Good luck,
Tony
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry, no... or at least not yet. I was just happy to get the 7 client working again. In actuallity none the 8.1 clients will even start for me and immediately fail with Java related issues. Not something I'm going to worry about today, maybe next week some time.
-craig

Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bill_G »

Tony,
I had exactly same error as you mentioned above, that all 7.5 point to "../admin.exe ". IBM tech support asked me to reinstall the clients to fix the issues. I want to check with you if there is other solution for fixing this issues.

thanks in advance.
Bill_G
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bill_G »

Tony,
I had exactly same error as you mentioned above, that all 7.5 point to "../admin.exe ". IBM tech support asked me to reinstall the clients to fix the issues. I want to check with you if there is other solution for fixing this issues.

thanks in advance.