Cross Column Analysis in IA

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

QuestExpert
Participant

Cross Column Analysis in IA

Post by QuestExpert »

Hello,
I am using Information Analyzer for data profiling.
I flatten the IMS (Hierarchal) Database
From
Part No | Source | Description
---------- Component Part No | Source | Name
---------------------------------------Installed Part No | Source | Description
TO (in one table, delimiter | )
Part No | Source | Desc | Component Part No | Comp. Source | Comp. Name | Installed Part No | Installed Source | Installed Desc.

Now I want to analyze the data for Parent and Child relationship
Main Parent is 'Part No' its immediate child is 'Component Part No' and grand child is 'Installed Part No'
Question: which analysis do I need to perform and which report shall I run.
I wanted to know
How many Parents (Part No) has 0 child (Component Part No) and 0 grand child (Installed Part No)?
How many are orphan children?
Etc.

Thanks
Quest Expert
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I'm not sure whether or not you've run the Cross Domain analyses on virtual columns but, assuming that you have, then your requirement would seem to me to be one for Foreign Key analysis.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
QuestExpert
Participant

Post by QuestExpert »

for some reason reason my cross domain analysis is not working.,
what I am doing is: selecting the three columns (Part No, Component Part No, Installed Part No) and then simply clicking on Run Cross Domain Analysis> and after that my IA just keep on clocking for hours and at the end i have to kill the session.

I have run Column Analysis on all the columns in the table, though.

Thanks
Quest Expert
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You have selected just these three columns in the base AND in the paired table? How many rows in each table?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
QuestExpert
Participant

Post by QuestExpert »

These three cols are in the same table (Denormalized),

Do I have to define PK, FK in my table? currently I dont have them defined and all the cols are simple VarChar(),

Could you also tell me how to define Base Table (if I need to) like you mentioned in your last reply.

Thanks
Quest Expert
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A Cross Domain analysis asks for base and pair. Looks to me like you haven't gotten into that workspace at all. From the INVESTIGATE pillar menu it's the "Key and Cross-Domain Analysis" option.

It is feasible for the base and paired tables to be the same table, if you need to investigate whether a nested relationship exists. You will, of course, find a common domain (always, in this case) but can then proceed to undertake a foreign key analysis which seeks out the one-to-many, many-to-one relationships that characterise primary/foreign keys.