Can IA's output be a user-defined table?

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

truenorth
Participant

Can IA's output be a user-defined table?

Post by truenorth »

Here is my understanding: after IA completes an analysis, the results are stored in the analysis database, IADB by default. But can I send the results to a table of my own choosing, say something like INVALID_TRANSACTION_CUSTOMERIDS?

My reason for this is so I can deliver such an output table to a data steward, or simply alert them of its creation. They can then action on the data issues.
Todd Ramirez
Sr Consultant, Data Quality
San Antonio TX
cdp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by cdp »

Hi Todd,

The results can be published to a html, pdf which are available through the information server web console, under the reporting tab.

Otherwise under Table Management in IA you should see an option to export Reference tables, from here your Domain and completeness analysis can be exported to a sequential file typically for use down stream by your ETL developers but they could easily be loaded into a table and presented to a Data Steward. Is there any reason to not give the Data Steward access to Information Analyzer and they can have access to your analysis?

Thanks...Jonathan
truenorth
Participant

Post by truenorth »

Thanks, Jonathan.

The concern was that the IA interface may be too convoluted for the Data Steward who may be a business end-user. And yes, the IA output may in fact be used downstream in ETL. So we're hoping to output directly to a table. Is there a way to do that, rather than having to do a second step to export to a file/table?
Todd Ramirez
San Antonio TX
truenorth
Participant

Post by truenorth »

cdp wrote:Otherwise under Table Management in IA you should see an option to export Reference tables, from here your Domain and completeness analysis can be exported to a sequential file typically for use down stream by your ETL developers but they could easily be loaded into a table
I'm starting to worry here. What you said, Jonathan, is in line with the user guide on page 105:
Table management
Tables that are generated during analysis include data sample tables that are created during a multiple column primary key analysis job and frequency distribution tables that are created during a column analysis job. These tables contain information about your data that you might want to view to learn more about how the data was handled during analysis. You can also export the tables to a file to share the information with other users or processes.
I certainly hope that IA creates output tables not just for those specific analysis tasks, but for ALL tasks?! I will almost exclusively be conducting data rules profiling but need to have the results available for further processing in Datastage or reporting in Oracle BI. Without output accessible to external processes, IA will be totally useless for our requirements. Please someone calm these fears! :?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

:idea:
Of course, your users could access the files using an ODBC driver for text files and never know that the results were other than in tables!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
truenorth
Participant

Post by truenorth »

Thanks, Ray. I feel much better.
Todd Ramirez
San Antonio TX