Licence for Information Analyzer

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

wfis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Licence for Information Analyzer

Post by wfis »

Hi,

Will like to know if Information Analyzer can be purchased separately from DataStage v8.0.

We currently have ProfileStage installed on SunSolaris Operating system.

Thanks
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

If you have ProfileStage and are paid up on annual maintenance you should be able to get Information Analyzer 8.1.1 for free. It will give you a few functions and reports not in ProfileStage and it will run on the faster parallel framework. It can be purchased or upgraded as a standalone product though you do need to install the Metadata Server.
wfis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by wfis »

Thank you for this information.

Our operating system is Sun Solaris SPARC. Guess this does not work for Information Analyzer 8.2. Is this right?

Also our profilestage tool was alone installed on the Sun Solaris SPARC server without datastage in it. Will this yet give us the parallel framework.
wfis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by wfis »

Any inputs?
Do we get Information analyzer along with DataStage and Qualitystage in the same license package?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, everything is in the one package, called Information Server. What actually installs depends on which products you have licensed. So, if you have bought licences for DataStage, QualityStage and Information Analyzer, you will get all three.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

If you own a license for DataStage and/or QualityStage it makes sense to install all products in one go on the one server as all three use the DataStage parallel job to execute. If you only have a license for Information Analyzer you still install the DataStage engine so you can run profiling jobs but you do not get access to the DataStage Designer.
wfis
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by wfis »

Thank you for this information.

Our operating system is Sun Solaris SPARC. Guess this does not work for Information Analyzer 8.2. Is this right?

Also our profilestage tool was alone installed on the Sun Solaris SPARC server without datastage in it. Will this yet give us the parallel framework
roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

Does anyone know if the Info Server installation includes the Information Analyzer software by default even if your license file does not include Info Analyzer?

My scenario is we installed v8.1 Info Server with a DataStage and QualityStage license (the install did not allow me to check the box for Info Analyzer indicating "Not Licensed"). We have now purchased Information Analyzer, and trying to configure it for this same server environment, but I'm thinking that Info Analyzer needs to be installed to the existing server installation. Am I thinking correctly?

I initially thought that all the Info Server "modules" (i.e. DataStage, QualityStage, Info Analyzer, etc.) would be installed on the server whether you are licensed for them or not, and then the license itself would be the thing to "turn on" that feature without any additional server-side installation required.

We're on RedHat Linux 4 with version 8.1.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

According to the installation guide, you first update your license file for the new component, Information Analyzer in your case, then you run the install again for the new component.
roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

ok thanks. It looks like that's what I'll have to do. Interesting how our IBM rep told us that it was already installed by default....

By the way, is there an easy way to check what components are installed on the server?
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Yes, check your IBM/InformationServer/logs directory.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

There is an option to install all software even if you don't have a license if you use the GUI installation wizard - I don't think you get the option at the command line installer where you can only install licensed products. But usually you just install the products you have a license for. If they knew at installation time that you were thinking of buying it they may have installed it. You should upgrade to Information Analyser 8.1.1 anyway since it comes with a number of patches and the new business rule monitoring functionality. As far as I know it's the only product at the 8.1.1 version and the others are still at 8.1.
roblew
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by roblew »

vmcburney wrote:You should upgrade to Information Analyser 8.1.1 anyway since it comes with a number of patches and the new business rule monitoring functionality. As far as I know it's the only product at the 8.1.1 version and the others are still at 8.1.
I did notice on the IBM site that Information Analyzer version 8.1.1 is available. Should that be available for download separately via Passport Advantage? I looked for it but didn't find it. I will most likely contact IBM for the link and/or part number to download.

thank you all for the feedback. I don't recall seeing an option to install everything from the GUI wizard. I even looked through my screenshots I captured during install. Anyways, that's besides the point now. thanks again! :D