ODBC for IA

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

J bo
Participant

ODBC for IA

Post by J bo »

Hi,

I'm new to IA hence the question. I will be attending the training soon but that's weeks away so I need some help.
I'm trying to configure the IA connection for the data sources. In trying to add Data Stores, I am not sure whether the ODBC DSN are to be set up in the Unix server or is it on my PC (client)?
I am able to configure ODBC on my PC but in the IA screen, the Test Connection keeps failing , the error is just Test Connection Failed.
I can connect to the Oracle data sources from my ODBC connection on my PC.
Please help.

J
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You need to be able to "see" the IADB from the DataStage server machine (the UNIX machine). All IA tasks actually run as DataStage jobs in the ANALYZERPROJECT project. To configure ODBC from UNIX you need to edit the $ODBCINI file (usually .odbc.ini in the DataStage Engine directory) and the uvodbc.config file in this project.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
J bo
Participant

Post by J bo »

Thanks Ray! We are making progress with this. I have been following the instructions for setting up the ODBC for DB2 in unix which is what we are using for the IADB.
there is a step in the Install Guide to bind the ODBC which is where I encountered an error.

utmypos7:/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/branded_odbc/lib $bind22 iadb
User Name: dsadm
Password:
SecurityMechanism: '0'
Package creation failed!: Connection to application server would exceed the installation-defined limit.

In checking in the IBM support site, the suggestion was to increase maxappls parameter; even after increasing this to 5 (it was 0 before) ,I am still getting the same error as above.
What else should I check for?

Please advise.

J
London,UK
sjfearnside
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjfearnside »

I have just gone thru a problem making a connection to a flat file from I/A. The problem was that the ASB agent was not running even thought the logging agent was running. To verify the proper agents are running I entered the following command: ps -ef|grep -i agent. Two agents should be returned, 1) ....AgentImpl and 2) ...LoggingAgentSocketImpl. In my case the logging agent was running but the other agent was down. The following steps were followed to start the agent.

1. Sudo to root
2. kill the PID for the LoggingAgentSocketImpl
3. CD to the path of the ASBNode/bin. (Contains the NodeAgents.sh file)
4. At the prompt, execute the file NodeAgents.sh with the start option.
ex: #./NodeAgents.sh start
5. verify both agents are running using the command: ps -ef|grep -i agent
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Got into a similar situation. You might still be working even though the bind didn't work, try using the ODBC test facility in the branded_odbc directory to see if you can connect from the command line. In our case we were never able to get the ODBC driver to connect to DB2 and IBM support were unable to resolve the problem and we couldn't use IA.
Aruna Gutti
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Aruna Gutti »

For fixing the security mechanism error please try adding 'SecurityMechanism=1' in your .odbc.ini file.

We had same issue which was ressolved after adding this to odbc.ini file.

[IADB]
QEWSD=39695
Driver=/opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/branded_odbc/lib/VMdb222.so
Description=DataDirect DB2 Wire Protocol Driver
AddStringToCreateTable=
AlternateID=
Database=IADB
DynamicSections=100
GrantAuthid=PUBLIC
GrantExecute=1
IpAddress=lnxqapp600.tjx.com
IsolationLevel=CURSOR_STABILITY
LogonID=insxqdb
Password=
Package=

SecurityMechanism=1
PackageOwner=
TcpPort=50003
WithHold=1

Good Luck,

Aruna.
asharma
Participant

Post by asharma »

We're encountering similar error on windows envoirnment. IA screen, the test Connection to the source keeps failing and the error is just "Test Connection Failed." ODBC test from both domain and engine layers is successful.Thanks! in advance.