Here we go again - list name change?

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

Here we go again - list name change?

Post by admin »

This is a topic for an orphaned message.
admin

Post by admin »

> From: Moderator [mailto:moderator@oliver.com]

> What are your opinions on simply
>
> u2-list
> datastage-list

u2-list is pretty safe because u2 isnt actually a product name so even if UniVerse or UniData get their names changed it wont matter. U2 does have other connotations however so maybe "u2-mv" might be better (the -list is kind of redundant given the context).

datastage-list is not a key focus for me, though I subscribe to the digest and glance at the posts once in a while. However, Id be concerned that datastage IS a product name right now, and it is easier to change the name of a product than the name of a company.

I suppose the folks who participate most fully on the DataStage list should really be the ones contributing most to the decision, and since their bit of Informix has not yet changed, perhaps they might not see the need for a name change. Once Informix is actually renamed as Ascential therell be a real need, but right now its only us U2 folks that have to do something. If the list wants a change though, Id suggest avoiding the company name and the product name if possible. If I understand correctly the various bits of DataStage are labelled "ds-..." eg. ds-engine, so perhaps "ds-list" or "ds-people" (if you take my point about the "-list" bit being redundant).

Best Regards

Ken Wallis
Empower Data Solutions Pty Limited

Envision, enable, enhance, ... Empower