Redbrick bulk loader

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

Redbrick bulk loader

Post by admin »

I am now trying the redbrick bulk loader for the 1st time, and Im getting the following error.

Test6.Customer_insert_Redbrick: Failed to create the SQL file

Im not sure if I am using the loader correctly. The manual says I can get data from any stage. I am using and odbc stage as input and writing it to the redbrick bulk loader, with a transform in between. Is this ok ?

And if this is ok, any ideas why Im getting the above error message ? (I am running Datastage and Redbrick on the same server like the manual
specifies)

Dirk

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit." -Helen Keller

==========================================================
This message contains information intended for the perusal, and/or use (if so stated), by the stated addressee(s) only. The information is confidential and privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, do not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute, copy or in any manner rely upon the information contained in this message (directly or indirectly). The sender and/or the entity represented by the sender shall not be held accountable in the event that this prohibition is disregarded. If you receive this message in error, notify the sender immediately by e-mail, fax or telephone representations contained in this message, whether express or implied, are those of the sender only, unless that sender expressly states them to be the views or representations of an entity or person, who shall be named by the sender and who the sender shall state to represent. No liability shall otherwise attach to any other entity or person. ==========================================================
admin

Post by admin »

What youre doing is OK, but you are asking the Red Brick stage to create the table. There is a known bug in this stage type where it generates an incorrect CREATE TABLE statement when there is more than one primary key column. Workaround is to create the table in Red Brick manually, and dont ask the bulk loader stage to create the table. Another possibility is that the executing user does not have CREATE_ANY authorization in Red Brick Decision Server. You would need to check this by interrogating the RBW_USERAUTH system table in Red Brick (or use the Red Brick Administrator client).

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, 09 November 2001 00:38
To: Datastage List
Subject: Redbrick bulk loader

I am now trying the redbrick bulk loader for the 1st time, and Im getting the following error.

Im not sure if I am using the loader correctly. The manual says I can get data from any stage. I am using and odbc stage as input and writing it to the redbrick bulk loader, with a transform in between. Is this ok ?

And if this is ok, any ideas why Im getting the above error message ? (I am running Datastage and Redbrick on the same server like the manual
specifies)

Dirk

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit." -Helen Keller

This message contains information intended for the perusal, and/or use (if so stated), by the stated addressee(s) only. The information is confidential and privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, do not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute, copy or in any manner rely upon the information contained in this message (directly or indirectly). The sender and/or the entity represented by the sender shall not be held accountable in the event that this prohibition is disregarded. If you receive this message in error, notify the sender immediately by e-mail, fax or telephone representations contained in this message, whether express or implied, are those of the sender only, unless that sender expressly states them to be the views or representations of an entity or person, who shall be named by the sender and who the sender shall state to represent. No liability shall otherwise attach to any other entity or person. ==========================================================
admin

Post by admin »

Thank you Ray, I appreciate the help. I am also reading the manual, but its not been very descriptive so far.

I will test this today. I prettty sure I did specify the option not to create the target table, but Ill have a look again.

Thanks again
Dirk

Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 10:48 PM
To: datastage-users@oliver.com
Subject: RE: Redbrick bulk loader

What youre doing is OK, but you are asking the Red Brick stage to create the table. There is a known bug in this stage type where it generates an incorrect CREATE TABLE statement when there is more than one primary key column. Workaround is to create the table in Red Brick manually, and dont ask the bulk loader stage to create the table. Another possibility is that the executing user does not have CREATE_ANY authorization in Red Brick Decision Server. You would need to check this by interrogating the RBW_USERAUTH system table in Red Brick (or use the Red Brick Administrator client).

specifies)

Dirk

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

I had a look at the manual again. The RB bulk loader manual is very short - only 10 pages. I couldnt find anything there that helps.

In my bulk loader stage (properties) I specified
"create a new table? N"

With this setting I am getting
"Test6.Customer_insert_Redbrick: Failed to create the SQL file"

Any other ideas ? Or maybe, where can I find one or two good examples of RDBLOAD stages ?

Dirk

specifies)

Dirk

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

Hey Dirk,
I have been out so I wasnt able to reply sooner. You need to make sure you have a valid path for the control file directory (as well as data file, log file, and discard file directories). Even though you are not creating the table, the redbrick pluggin creates the sql to do so in the sql file (its a feature). Also, if you are now running on NT, with Redbrick on UNIX, you will have to set autoload to N and ftp the files to UNIX to do the load. You cannot tmu load across servers. This is an enhancement that will be in Version 7.x of Redbrick.

Also, on your issue with the ODBC warnings. I am not sure why the error message contains 2 rows, but mine do as well. If you look at the previous warning message, it contains the row that errored (another feature of the ODBC). You will also notice that you have very poor performance using ODBC with Redbrick. This is, as Ken Bland noted, due to the design of Redbrick. I had a developer at Ascential run some tests and found that fastest an insert or update can run is about 100 rows per second. Redbrick was built to use the tmu and ptmu for loads and no other database will beat them on this.

Good luck,
David

Sent: Friday, November 09, 2001 5:16 AM

I had a look at the manual again. The RB bulk loader manual is very short - only 10 pages. I couldnt find anything there that helps.

"create a new table? N"

Any other ideas ? Or maybe, where can I find one or two good examples of RDBLOAD stages ?

Dirk

specifies)

Dirk

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

***Note:The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the Sender immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Premier Inc.
admin

Post by admin »

Thank you David, I appreciate the feedback.

Just a question about the directories. I am using the following syntax for the control file directory -

"e:eisroutines"

This directory does exist. I am using Datastage on NT with Redbrick on the same server. Is the syntax correct ? I use the same syntax for all the directories.

Dirk

Sent: Monday, November 12, 2001 7:28 PM

Hey Dirk,
I have been out so I wasnt able to reply sooner. You need to make sure you have a valid path for the control file directory (as well as data file, log file, and discard file directories). Even though you are not creating the table, the redbrick pluggin creates the sql to do so in the sql file (its a feature). Also, if you are now running on NT, with Redbrick on UNIX, you will have to set autoload to N and ftp the files to UNIX to do the load. You cannot tmu load across servers. This is an enhancement that will be in Version 7.x of Redbrick.

Also, on your issue with the ODBC warnings. I am not sure why the error message contains 2 rows, but mine do as well. If you look at the previous warning message, it contains the row that errored (another feature of the ODBC). You will also notice that you have very poor performance using ODBC with Redbrick. This is, as Ken Bland noted, due to the design of Redbrick. I had a developer at Ascential run some tests and found that fastest an insert or update can run is about 100 rows per second. Redbrick was built to use the tmu and ptmu for loads and no other database will beat them on this.

Good luck,
David

"create a new table? N"

Dirk

specifies)

Dirk

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

***Note:The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the Sender immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Premier Inc.
admin

Post by admin »

Your welcome,
I define my directories as parameters and pass them as #DataDir# which is defined like

I dont put the trailing . You may also want to check the permissions on the drive to make sure you have at least change rights. If this is on a server and you are running from a workstation, you may need to share it. I share mine so I dont have to log onto the server to see the files.

David

Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 6:38 AM

Just a question about the directories. I am using the following syntax for the control file directory -

This directory does exist. I am using Datastage on NT with Redbrick on the same server. Is the syntax correct ? I use the same syntax for all the directories.

Dirk

Hey Dirk,

Good luck,
David

"create a new table? N"

Dirk

specifies)

Dirk

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

***Note:The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the Sender immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Premier Inc. ***Note:The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the Sender immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Premier Inc.
admin

Post by admin »

I tried both suggestions now. I first removed the trailing "" as in your example below. Then I shared these directories with full permissions on the server, but this also didnt work.

I am working from my PC. Im just thinking about something - correct me if Im wrong. On my PC I connect to the Datastage server. I create a job. This job is stored on the server right ? And when I run it (using the director on my PC), it also runs on the server, right ? So all these directories are then directories that exist the server and not on my PC. I just have to make sure about this.

I keep getting the same error with everything Ive tried now.
"Customer_insert_Redbrick: Failed to create the SQL file"

Its a pity there arent *examples* in the manuals.

Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 2:38 PM

Your welcome,
I define my directories as parameters and pass them as #DataDir# which is defined like

I dont put the trailing . You may also want to check the permissions on the drive to make sure you have at least change rights. If this is on a server and you are running from a workstation, you may need to share it. I share mine so I dont have to log onto the server to see the files.

David

Dirk

Hey Dirk,

Good luck,
David

"create a new table? N"

Dirk

specifies)

Dirk

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

***Note:The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the Sender immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Premier Inc. ***Note:The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the Sender immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Premier Inc.
admin

Post by admin »

You are correct. Everything is on the server. The directories, the ODBC, etc. It is a little confusing especially since you export to your local drive.

You have it now, I believe.

David

Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 8:27 AM

I tried both suggestions now. I first removed the trailing "" as in your example below. Then I shared these directories with full permissions on the server, but this also didnt work.

I am working from my PC. Im just thinking about something - correct me if Im wrong. On my PC I connect to the Datastage server. I create a job. This job is stored on the server right ? And when I run it (using the director on my PC), it also runs on the server, right ? So all these directories are then directories that exist the server and not on my PC. I just have to make sure about this.

Your welcome,

David

Dirk

Hey Dirk,

Good luck,
David

"create a new table? N"

Dirk

specifies)

Dirk

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

***Note:The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the Sender immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Premier Inc. ***Note:The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the Sender immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Premier Inc. ***Note:The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the Sender immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Premier Inc.
admin

Post by admin »

Thank you, Ill play around with this to see if I can get it right.

Thanks for the help.
Dirk

Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 3:30 PM

You are correct. Everything is on the server. The directories, the ODBC, etc. It is a little confusing especially since you export to your local drive.

You have it now, I believe.

David

Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 8:27 AM

Your welcome,

David

Dirk

Hey Dirk,

Good luck,
David

"create a new table? N"

Dirk

specifies)

Dirk

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

***Note:The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the Sender immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Premier Inc. ***Note:The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the Sender immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Premier Inc. ***Note:The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the Sender immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Premier Inc.