Running dsjob from telnet session

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

Running dsjob from telnet session

Post by admin »

Hi
dsjob (-run or -jobinfo etc) of a job does not work when I run it from a telnet session but it works when I run it for the same login id from an XTERM session (Hummingbird).
The error I get is " ERROR: Failed to open project Status code = 80011".

Has anyone encountered this? We are on a HP-UX environment. I looked at the differences between the environment in the telnet session versus the X Window terminal and the only difference is the DISPLAY and WINDOWID set in the X session.
The same problem occurs when I run a datastage job using dsjob from our scheduler(TNG ).

I have listed sample runs below from each>

On XTerm it runs fine
------------------------
dsjob -jobinfo test rdvp010h
Job Status : NOT RUNNING (99)
Job Controller : not available
Job Start Time : not available
Job Wave Number : 0
User Status : not available

Through telnet session it failes
-----------------------------------
ERROR: Failed to open project
Status code = 80011

Thanks
Naren
admin

Post by admin »

This is a known DSJOB bug. A scheduler, like Maestro, runs an "su user"
command and after that the DSJOB command seems to lose track of the user and fails with an "80011" error that, I believe, is a low level security error message.

Below are some of my notes:

Case 1)
The user uses telnet to log into host XYZ. The users profile correct configures the PATH to include $uvhome/bin. The user is able to run the "dsjob -lprojects" command successfully to see a list of projects available on the host.

Case 2)
The root user logs into host XYZ using telnet. The root user switches to account abc using the "su - abc" command. The environment, user and group IDs are now identical to case 1. However, the "dsjob -lprojects" command returns an 80011 error.

Case 3)
The text "localhost,abc,1234" is placed in the abc.pwd file. Again the root user logs into host XYZ and sus to the abc account. The environment, user and groups IDs are the same as in the previous two cases. The "dsjob -f abc.pwd -lprojects" successfully

The "workaround" in case #3 above can be used, but we were able to get an
improved version of dsjob that fixed the problem. Recently, I ran a few tests
on DS 4.2.1 and the dsjob command seemed to work. We run DS on AIX 4.3.3.

-Doug

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2001 5:11 PM
To: datastage-users@oliver.com
Subject: Running dsjob from telnet session

Hi
dsjob (-run or -jobinfo etc) of a job does not work when I run it from a telnet session but it works when I run it for the same login id from an XTERM session (Hummingbird).

Has anyone encountered this? We are on a HP-UX environment. I looked at the differences between the environment in the telnet session versus the X Window terminal and the only difference is the DISPLAY and WINDOWID set in the X session.
The same problem occurs when I run a datastage job using dsjob from our scheduler(TNG ).

On XTerm it runs fine
------------------------

ERROR: Failed to open project
Status code = 80011

Thanks
Naren
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks! I will contact Datastage and ask them to send me the new dsjob.

I tried the option of creating .pwd file but it does not work. It does not seem to like even the -f option.

Naren

Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2001 5:43 PM
Subject: RE: Running dsjob from telnet session

This is a known DSJOB bug. A scheduler, like Maestro, runs an "su
user"
command and after that the DSJOB command seems to lose track of the user and fails with an "80011" error that, I believe, is a low level security error message.

Below are some of my notes:

Case 1)
The user uses telnet to log into host XYZ. The users profile correct configures the PATH to include $uvhome/bin. The user is able to run the "dsjob -lprojects" command successfully to see a list of projects available on the host.

Case 2)
The root user logs into host XYZ using telnet. The root user switches to account abc using the "su - abc" command. The environment, user and group IDs are now identical to case 1. However, the "dsjob -lprojects" command returns an 80011 error.

Case 3)
The text "localhost,abc,1234" is placed in the abc.pwd file. Again the root user logs into host XYZ and sus to the abc account. The environment, user and groups IDs are the same as in the previous two cases. The "dsjob -f abc.pwd -lprojects" successfully

The "workaround" in case #3 above can be used, but we were able to get an
improved version of dsjob that fixed the problem. Recently, I ran
a few tests
on DS 4.2.1 and the dsjob command seemed to work. We run DS on
AIX 4.3.3.

-Doug

Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2001 5:11 PM
Subject: Running dsjob from telnet session

Hi

On XTerm it runs fine
------------------------