Error codes

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

Error codes

Post by admin »

Where do I find the error codes and their meaning ? I am looking through the manuals - couldnt find it in the online help. The server job developers guide doesnt have all the error codes.

Im getting a return code 127 when running DSExecute in one of my jobs.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit." -Helen Keller

==========================================================
This message contains information intended for the perusal, and/or use (if so stated), by the stated addressee(s) only. The information is confidential and privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, do not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute, copy or in any manner rely upon the information contained in this message (directly or indirectly). The sender and/or the entity represented by the sender shall not be held accountable in the event that this prohibition is disregarded. If you receive this message in error, notify the sender immediately by e-mail, fax or telephone representations contained in this message, whether express or implied, are those of the sender only, unless that sender expressly states them to be the views or representations of an entity or person, who shall be named by the sender and who the sender shall state to represent. No liability shall otherwise attach to any other entity or person. ==========================================================
admin

Post by admin »

The fourth argument of DSExecute returns the exit status of the executed command. That is, if you are running a UNIX command it is a UNIX error, if you are running an NT command it is an NT error, and if you are running a UniVerse command it is a UniVerse error. You need to consult the appropriate reference manual for whichever shell you are using. In particular, though, it is not DSExecute that is generating the error code. As far as I know, UniVerse does not have an error code 127. Another gotcha is that some O/S utilities (including dsjob) return only one byte of the error code. So you dont get to find out what the actual error is.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, 11 October 2001 19:20
To: Datastage List
Subject: Error codes

Where do I find the error codes and their meaning ? I am looking through the manuals - couldnt find it in the online help. The server job developers guide doesnt have all the error codes.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit." -Helen Keller

This message contains information intended for the perusal, and/or use (if so stated), by the stated addressee(s) only. The information is confidential and privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, do not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute, copy or in any manner rely upon the information contained in this message (directly or indirectly). The sender and/or the entity represented by the sender shall not be held accountable in the event that this prohibition is disregarded. If you receive this message in error, notify the sender immediately by e-mail, fax or telephone representations contained in this message, whether express or implied, are those of the sender only, unless that sender expressly states them to be the views or representations of an entity or person, who shall be named by the sender and who the sender shall state to represent. No liability shall otherwise attach to any other entity or person. ==========================================================
admin

Post by admin »

For issues between DataStage clients and servers, the most comprehensive list is to be found in the InterCall manual (Intercall is the underlying architecture for UniObjects, the interface used for this connection). This manual can be found at: http://www.informix.com/answers/english ... trcall.pdf

Within the file JOBCONTROL.H, which exists in a subdirectory called DSINCLUDE in every project (account), there is a section called ERROR VALUES in which location constants are defined that map onto error codes that can be generated within DataStage, especially in job control code and the functions likely to be called therefrom. There arent many of these (17 in release 4.2.1).
admin

Post by admin »

In this case (Unix), I think I only received one byte of the code like you indicated below. I had a look at 127 in Unix, and it has no relation to the error I should be getting.

I managed to track down the error by just splitting and testing different parts of the command. It is good to know about the error codes though.

Thanks for the e-mail.
Dirk

Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 12:19 PM
To: datastage-users@oliver.com
Subject: RE: Error codes

The fourth argument of DSExecute returns the exit status of the executed command. That is, if you are running a UNIX command it is a UNIX error, if you are running an NT command it is an NT error, and if you are running a UniVerse command it is a UniVerse error. You need to consult the appropriate reference manual for whichever shell you are using. In particular, though, it is not DSExecute that is generating the error code. As far as I know, UniVerse does not have an error code 127. Another gotcha is that some O/S utilities (including dsjob) return only one byte of the error code. So you dont get to find out what the actual error is.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

Dirk,

Want to share your detective work (sanitized as appropriate ) with the others on the list? It may help someone else in the future!

Regards,
Ray

Sent: Thursday, 11 October 2001 20:38

In this case (Unix), I think I only received one byte of the code like you indicated below. I had a look at 127 in Unix, and it has no relation to the error I should be getting.

I managed to track down the error by just splitting and testing different parts of the command. It is good to know about the error codes though.

Thanks for the e-mail.
Dirk

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

Sure, it was actually a simple error, so its a little embarrasing.

The code in question is:

command = "echo File " : Ext : " missing | mailx -s Missing dirkm@reach.co.za"
Call DSExecute("UNIX", command, output, systemreturncode)
if systemreturncode 0 then
Call DSLogInfo(systemreturncode, "Return code")
end else
end

I added the if-statement later, because I did not receive the e-mail that the DSExecute was supposed to send. The return code from the DSExecute was 127, and when I looked up this error in Unix, it didnt make any sense.

So - I took the first line, and wrote a seperate test job that built the "command" string and then just displayed this variable using DSLogInfo() The value that was displayed was "0", so then I knew that there was an error in building the string. I read the manual and played around with the string until I eventually got it right. So it wasnt that the mailx command sent to Unix wasnt working, the command wasnt there in the first place, so an invalid command was being executed....

Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 12:42 PM

Dirk,

Want to share your detective work (sanitized as appropriate ) with the others on the list? It may help someone else in the future!

Regards,
Ray

Sent: Thursday, 11 October 2001 20:38

Thanks for the e-mail.
Dirk

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za