re-usable containers?

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

re-usable containers?

Post by admin »

Is there a way to define a common series of stages in DataStage? For example, I have two customer mappings, one for insert and one for update. In both cases, I need to do a significant number of lookups in order to fully build the customer record either for insert (keyed lookups) or for update (for comparisons). Id rather not have two copies of these stages if at all possible (since I know it will change in our next iteration.)

thank in advance.

jason
admin

Post by admin »

Jason,

Im pretty sure the functionality you desire is delivered in DataStage 5.1 (not prior to, though)
Containers in 4.2.1 and earlier mainly group stages in a job for presentation purposes (un-clutters the job design for a complex jobs)

Do you know your Ascential SE or Account Rep?
The SE should be able to help you out.
Let me know if you cant find them.

-Craig

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 12:41 PM
To: datastage-users@oliver.com
Subject: re-usable containers?

Is there a way to define a common series of stages in DataStage? For example, I have two customer mappings, one for insert and one for update. In both cases, I need to do a significant number of lookups in order to fully build the customer record either for insert (keyed lookups) or for update (for comparisons). Id rather not have two copies of these stages if at all possible (since I know it will change in our next iteration.)

thank in advance.

jason
admin

Post by admin »

Jason,
As others have responded, that functionality is available in DataStage version 5.1. There are two types of containers, the type you are familiar with already, and the new reusable containers. These containers are built through DataStage (as they are already), but you have the option to have them saved in the repository. At any point, you can convert an existing container into a reusable one, and vice-a-versa. I would speak with your rep about getting the upgrade. ---Tony

Jason Mulvin wrote: Is there a way to define a common series of stages in DataStage? For example, I have two customer mappings, one for insert and one for update. In both cases, I need to do a significant number of lookups in order to fully build the customer record either for insert (keyed lookups) or for update (for comparisons). Id rather not have two copies of these stages if at all possible (since I know it will change in our next iteration.)

thank in advance.

jason

---------------------------------
Do You Yahoo!?
Make a great connection at Yahoo! Personals.
admin

Post by admin »

Yes containers do achieve their full potential in the 5.1 release of DataStage.

At present in existing versions of DataStage you have a "local container" The 5.1 release of DataStage adds "reusable, and shared containers" not to mention some major architectural improvements to both the usage and deployment of Containers in general. There is even a set of pre-built containers to deal with a whole host of common scenarios just to get you started.
Your requirements are a perfect example of one of the many benefits the new-shared containers will provide.

As an existing customer I would strongly recommend contacting your AE or SE

Cheers

Steve

p.s. Once you start containerising - you cant stop.
p.p.s Would love to know what other people think of the new release as you guys get it. Been playing with it for a few months now and well I just cant wait to see what people think. Its seriously kewl - but its what you guys think thats really important.

From: craig.rouse@ascentialsoftware.com [mailto:craig.rouse@ascentialsoftware.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 3:33 PM
Subject: RE: re-usable containers?

Jason,

Im pretty sure the functionality you desire is delivered in DataStage 5.1 (not prior to, though) Containers in 4.2.1 and earlier mainly group stages in a job for presentation purposes (un-clutters the job design for a complex jobs)

Do you know your Ascential SE or Account Rep?
The SE should be able to help you out.
Let me know if you cant find them.

-Craig

Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2001 12:41 PM
Subject: re-usable containers?

thank in advance.

jason