Privileges on Universe Tables

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

Privileges on Universe Tables

Post by admin »

The user who installs DataStage server (assuming that UniVerse is not already on the system) is granted DBA privilege. No other user is automatically granted any database or table privileges. No other user becomes a valid SQL user until CONNECT privilege has been granted. Granting of CONNECT privilege does not automatically confer any table privileges. These must be granted explicitly, though they can be granted to PUBLIC. UniVerse (at current release (9.5 or 9.6 for DataStage) does not use role-based privileges.
admin

Post by admin »

Its your choice. You can grant appropriate privileges, you can use a hashed file stage (which does not use SQL and therefore mainly bypasses these checks, unless you have already granted table privileges), or you could modify the underlying BASIC code (using an AUTHORIZATION statement) so that it always executes - in a UniVerse SQL sense - as a particular user. If you just want to use UniVerse as the location of temporary tables, grant CONNECT privilege to any user ID you want to use (even PUBLIC) and have the job itself create them in the UV stage.

Warning: the nexus between UniVerse and DataStage is broken at the next release. You will not legally be able to use UniVerse as a database on a DataStage licence. (You will still, however, be able to use a DataStage project as the location for temporary tables - all of which are hashed files - using the same paradigm as you currently use with the UV stage
type.)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, 06 July 2001 00:25
To: ray.wurlod@Informix.Com
Subject: Re: Privileges on Universe Tables

So does this mean that I should not use universe stage in my job if I have plans to run the job with a different user. I want to know how it is handled in this type of situation.

------------- Original Message --------------
"Ray Wurlod" wrote: To: From:"Ray Wurlod" Date:Wed, 4 Jul 2001 10:41:57 +1000
Subject: Privileges on Universe Tables

The user who installs DataStage server (assuming that UniVerse is not already on the system) is granted DBA privilege. No other user is automatically granted any database or table privileges. No other user becomes a valid SQL user until CONNECT privilege has been granted. Granting of CONNECT privilege does not automatically confer any table privileges. These must be granted explicitly, though they can be granted to PUBLIC. UniVerse (at current release (9.5 or 9.6 for DataStage) does not use role-based privileges.