CONTROL JOB

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

CONTROL JOB

Post by admin »

hi all,

I have a question to ask in DATASTAGE. I have an control job which controls around 20 jobs. Therefore if for some reason the job (say 15th) gives an error. then i need to rerun the control job all over again from job1.
Is there any shortcut by which say I can restart the job after the 14th job.

Regards,
Vivek
admin

Post by admin »

I use a parm called startgroup and set to the job I want to restart at,

startOK = @FALSE

If startgroup = "group1" Then
startOK = @TRUE
job control statements for job 1
End ;* end of group1

If startgroup = "group2" OR startOK Then
startOK = @TRUE
job control statements for job 2
End ;* end of group2

"Vivek Pandey."
informix-datastage@oliver.com
cc: (bcc: Art Rubright/NYLIC)
06/08/2001 08:37 Subject: CONTROL JOB
AM
Please respond
to
informix-datasta
ge

hi all,

I have a question to ask in DATASTAGE. I have an control job which controls around 20 jobs. Therefore if for some reason the job (say 15th) gives an error. then i need to rerun the control job all over again from job1.

Regards,
Vivek
admin

Post by admin »

Yes, it involves writing job control code with more "intelligent" sensing and restart capability, typically recording (in a table or O/S file) where each run gets up to. I am aware of a number of sites doing exactly this. One of these has a four level job control hierarchy with row count reconciliation, full restart capability, and much more. Their secret was planning what they wanted to do before implementing it in DataStage BASIC.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, 08 June 2001 22:38
To: informix-datastage@oliver.com
Subject: CONTROL JOB

hi all,

Regards,
Vivek
admin

Post by admin »

Does this type of job control require the QA module, or does the QA module just make this level of JC easier to implement & manage?

Sent: Friday, June 08, 2001 3:34 PM
Subject: RE: CONTROL JOB

Yes, it involves writing job control code with more "intelligent" sensing and restart capability, typically recording (in a table or O/S file) where each run gets up to. I am aware of a number of sites doing exactly this. One of these has a four level job control hierarchy with row count reconciliation, full restart capability, and much more. Their secret was planning what they wanted to do before implementing it in DataStage BASIC.

Sent: Friday, 08 June 2001 22:38
Subject: CONTROL JOB

hi all,

Regards,
Vivek
admin

Post by admin »

It does not require any module. In fact, the multi-level hierarchy was originally implemented in DataStage 2.2, well before source control and other add-ons appeared. (I take it thats what you mean by "the QA module")

From: David Daugherty [mailto:DDaugherty@pilgrimspride.com]
Sent: Saturday, 09 June 2001 07:40
Subject: RE: CONTROL JOB

Does this type of job control require the QA module, or does the QA module just make this level of JC easier to implement & manage?