DataStage evaluation

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

DataStage evaluation

Post by admin »

We need to decide in the next few days if we will purchase DataStage and what level. I would appreciate any input. We are a small department at a university with a small budget and a few people who need to build a warehouse for student data reporting.

Are people using the tool without the use of Metastage?
How complex is it - how much training/consulting is required? Are you able to use it with Peoplesoft as a source? Have you used Iterations?

Barbara Hlinka
barbara.hlinka@csun.edu
admin

Post by admin »

Hi Barbara,

-----Original Message-----
To:
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 13:01:24 -0800
Subject: DataStage evaluation

>
> We need to decide in the next few days if we will purchase DataStage
> and what level. I would appreciate any input. We are a small
> department at a university with a small budget and a few people who
> need to build a warehouse for student data reporting.
If so purchase the cheapest (in the reasonable ranges) bundle for your platform.

>
> Are people using the tool without the use of Metastage?
Yes. DataStage is integrated well with the MetaStage and vice versa. But they are fully independent.

> How complex is it - how much training/consulting is required?
IMHO it isnt difficult to start using DataStage by yourself without any "training/consulting". Docs are enough for education.

> Are you able to use it with Peoplesoft as a source?
As I remember "Yes". But people can say more exactly.

> Have you used Iterations?
>
> Barbara Hlinka
> barbara.hlinka@csun.edu
>
admin

Post by admin »

Are people using the tool without the use of Metastage?

Most are. MetaStage is a more recent innovation. There are DataStage sites that have now been running three years and more.

How complex is it - how much training/consulting is required?

Its able to be as simple or as complex as you like. DataStage is designed to fit your business, not the other way around. Theres a tutorial that ships with the product that ought to get you started. However, training will always help with the "tips and techniques", and is available. [I have to say that - its how I make my living - but I believe it wholeheartedly.]

Are you able to use it with Peoplesoft as a source?

DataStage includes the capability to extract data from the major ERP packages (SAP R/3, Peoplesoft, Baan). Check the website for more information. The components that perform these tasks do come at an additional charge (because theres licensing fees involved).

Have you used Iterations?

Iterations is unrelated to DataStage. It is an excellent methodology for any DW project (beginning with "do we really need a DW and are we ready for it?"). It breaks down the plan into three phases (startup, DW management and implementation) and five tracks (project, user (resource), data, technical and metadata). The best thing of all is that it provides documentation (in MS Office formats) for every step of the way - project plans, resource specifications, narratives, Powerpoint presentations, and so on. It was the DW methodology of choice for all Ardent DW consultants. (Im not sure about non-Ardent Informix consultants, only because I havent checked.)