Pagefile.sys on NT and DataStage performance

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

Pagefile.sys on NT and DataStage performance

Post by admin »

Hi Gang,

Our LAN fellas wish to do the following to our NT Server (with DataStage 3.1.1r3 running on it) to help performance.

1. Delete the pagefile.sys from the C: drive.
2. Increase the pagefile.sys file size on the other drive (E:), which is where the DataStage server engine resides.

Will this "break" anything?

Thanks.

Brad Vincent
Data Warehousing with a "health"-y spin
Compuware
c/o The Detroit Medical Center
(313) 966-2176
admin

Post by admin »

DataStage wont really care where the paging file is, but if the partitions represent physical drives then the I/O rates should be looked at before doing the switch to avoid unbalanced loads that can cause bottlenecks. The DataStage engine doesnt generate much I/O, the directories where you have your project(s) do; especially if you utilize hashed files and keep them there. In addition, I would look to see if the pagefile is actually being written to/read from at all.

-Arnd.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 08:40
To: DataStage Mailing List
Subject: Pagefile.sys on NT and DataStage performance

Hi Gang,

Our LAN fellas wish to do the following to our NT Server (with DataStage 3.1.1r3 running on it) to help performance.

2. Increase the pagefile.sys file size on the other drive (E:), which is where the DataStage server engine resides.

Thanks.

Brad Vincent
Compuware
(313) 966-2176
admin

Post by admin »

Hey Arnd....hows it going?

Thanks for the congrats....were very excited.

So, where are you at this moment?

Ernie

Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 12:08 PM
To: informix-datastage@oliver.com
Subject: RE: Pagefile.sys on NT and DataStage performance

DataStage wont really care where the paging file is, but if the partitions represent physical drives then the I/O rates should be looked at before doing the switch to avoid unbalanced loads that can cause bottlenecks. The DataStage engine doesnt generate much I/O, the directories where you have your project(s) do; especially if you utilize hashed files and keep them there. In addition, I would look to see if the pagefile is actually being written to/read from at all.

-Arnd.

Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 08:40
To: DataStage Mailing List
Subject: Pagefile.sys on NT and DataStage performance

Hi Gang,

Thanks.

Brad Vincent
Compuware
(313) 966-2176