Pointing to another UniVerse

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

Pointing to another UniVerse

Post by admin »

Pretty soon Ill have a need to read data in UniVerse files that are on an RS6000 Unix box. We currently run an old release of DataStage (3.1.1r3, yeah, I know, pretty darned old) on an NT box.

Having never done this before I was wondering if all I had to do was define the other host in the uvodbc.config file on my NT server? This other box
(RS6000) is running a UniVerse application, but not DataStage.

Thanks.

Brad Vincent
Data Warehousing with a "health"-y spin
Compuware
c/o The Detroit Medical Center
(313) 966-2176
admin

Post by admin »

Its slightly more complex than that.

To do it properly you should have UV/Net installed on both machines. Rely on UV/Net for inter-machine interactions, since lock tables are maintained in shared memory on the machine where the UniVerse files are physically located. UV/Net uses slave processes to maintain local locks properly. This prevents lost updates that might result from machine A accessing a record on machine B but setting a lock in memory on machine A (!); meanwhile the record will appear not to be locked to a process on machine B.

To access files on the other system, use conventional hostname!pathname terminology in either your VOC "F" pointers, or in the UV.ACCOUNT entry that refers to an account on the other machine (which "Q" pointers in your VOC file will use). The "!" automatically triggers the use of the UV/Net software; no other configuration is required. Though you may like to tune the UV/Net timeout in the unirpcservices file (uvrpcservices in older releases of UniVerse).

It is because of this possibility of lost updates that the default value for the ALLOWNFS tunable is 0 (disabled). If you want to take the risk of lost updates, change ALLOWNFS to 1 (which is the default for DataStage, which doesnt really expect to see other UniVerse machines) and use mounted file systems, pointing to them with pathnames in "F" pointers or in UV.ACCOUNT. When this goes pear shaped, expect a "you idiot" response from support. (Actually they wouldnt, but theyd probably think it, and deservedly.)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, 13 February 2001 06:55
To: DataStage Mailing List
Subject: Pointing to another UniVerse

Pretty soon Ill have a need to read data in UniVerse files that are on an RS6000 Unix box. We currently run an old release of DataStage (3.1.1r3, yeah, I know, pretty darned old) on an NT box.

Having never done this before I was wondering if all I had to do was define the other host in the uvodbc.config file on my NT server? This other box
(RS6000) is running a UniVerse application, but not DataStage.

Thanks.

Brad Vincent
Data Warehousing with a "health"-y spin
Compuware
c/o The Detroit Medical Center
(313) 966-2176