Some questions about DataStage set

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

Some questions about DataStage set

Post by admin »

Hello All

I apologize in advance for my curve English?
I have read some .pdf-s from Ardent (data-movement.pdf & meta-data.pdf). And there are some questions about their content. Lets read some quotations:

data-movement.pdf
-----------------
p.3

"Repository Manager
Graphical browser used to view, edit and create meta data stored in the Repository.

Repository
Stores technical and business meta data describing source and target data, transformations, data elements, built-in stages, business rules. "

meta-data.pdf
-------------
p.2
"
Meta Data Management services consists of three components, the:
- Directory - the storage schema that represents the essential semantic units for a shared environment;
- Explorer - the primary client interface allowing users to navigate and analyze meta data stored in the Directory;
- MetaBrokers - exchange utilities containing knowledge of the tool s data model, which can decompose and recompose that model into simple semantic units for movement in and out of the Directory. "

What are differences between meta data tools from base DataStage Suite and Meta Data Management? I guess that they talking about the same product. Or they mean that Repository and Repository Manager together are Meta Data Management. Whats the meaning of word "additional" in a price-book in a section "DataStage -Optional Components"? Can I buy Quality Manager additionaly to my DataStage 4.x or I must buy DataStage XE to be able using it? Can I use Business Objects MetaBroker with only my DataStage Server or I must to buy MetaStage Directory to be able using it?

Best regards,
marat mailto:maratkotik@mail.ru
admin

Post by admin »

There are two separate pieces.

DataStage is an extract-transform-load (ETL) tool. It uses specific metadata elements ("technical metadata") such as table definitions, functions, and so on to specify exactly how data are to be extracted, transformed and loaded. These metadata are stored in its Repository, the "DataStage Repository", which is a database that is part of the DataStage server engine. It is possible to add documentation of business rules ("business metadata") into the DataStage Repository, but only as descriptive text associated with technical metadata elements. When a DataStage job runs the start/finish times, number of rows processed/rejected, etc., are all classed as "process metadata".

MetaStage (briefly called "Metadata Management Services for DataStage" before we shot that particular marketing person) allows metadata of varying kinds to be stored in a different database (you get your choice of RDBMS) in a way that different tools, such as CASE tools, BI tools, ETL tools and so on can access in a way that is meaningful to the tool. This is accomplished using specialized filters called MetaBrokers. MetaStage is packaged as part of DataStage XE and DataStage Suite.

MetaBrokers have undergone a metamorphosis between releases 3.6 and 4.0 of DataStage. With the introduction of MetaStage, MetaBrokers are
(technically) used to access the MetaStage hub. The earlier meaning for MetaBroker is a tool that DataStage uses to import or export metadata to various other tools. This has been replaced by a new term, which I cant remember just now (I am in Beijing, without access to my customary resources).

I understand that if you have DataStage only, then you can buy QM as a separate product. If you have DataStage XE or DataStage Suite QM is included. But I may be wrong - check with your Informix reseller. Metabrokers are definitely an additional cost, albeit a relatively small one.

> ----------
> From: marat[SMTP:maratkotik@mail.ru]
> Reply To: informix-datastage@oliver.com
> Sent: Tuesday, 15 August 2000 02:41
> To: informix-datastage@oliver.com
> Subject: Some questions about DataStage set
>
> Hello All
>
> I apologize in advance for my curve English?
> I have read some .pdf-s from Ardent (data-movement.pdf &
> meta-data.pdf). And there are some questions about their content.
> Lets read some quotations:
>
> data-movement.pdf
> -----------------
> p.3
>
> "Repository Manager
> Graphical browser used to view, edit and create meta data stored in
> the Repository.
>
> Repository
> Stores technical and business meta data describing source and target data,
> transformations, data elements, built-in stages, business rules.
> "
>
> meta-data.pdf
> -------------
> p.2
> "
> Meta Data Management services consists of three components, the:
> - Directory - the storage schema that represents the essential
> semantic units for a shared environment;
> - Explorer - the primary client interface allowing users to navigate
> and analyze meta data stored in the Directory;
> - MetaBrokers - exchange utilities containing knowledge of the tool s