Info messages

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

Info messages

Post by admin »

I have a job that reads a text file and loads it into a Redbrick database. For those of you who know Redbrick, the table I am loading into has a precomputed view running on top of it. This means every time I do an insert, the precomputed view gets disabled, and again enabled when the insert is complete.

The problem now is that, when using Datastage, I get this message back for every record being inserted. 1 Million inserts - 1 million messages

"WARNING ** (1932) The precomputed view CUST_TOT_TEST_VIEW has been marked invalid."

This is one job - no job control or anything - just a simple load. How can I get rid of these informational messages ?

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit." -Helen Keller

==========================================================
This message contains information intended for the perusal, and/or use (if so stated), by the stated addressee(s) only. The information is confidential and privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, do not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute, copy or in any manner rely upon the information contained in this message (directly or indirectly). The sender and/or the entity represented by the sender shall not be held accountable in the event that this prohibition is disregarded. If you receive this message in error, notify the sender immediately by e-mail, fax or telephone representations contained in this message, whether express or implied, are those of the sender only, unless that sender expressly states them to be the views or representations of an entity or person, who shall be named by the sender and who the sender shall state to represent. No liability shall otherwise attach to any other entity or person. ==========================================================
admin

Post by admin »

Does redbrick allow you to manually disable the precomputed view?

If so, can you use stage before/after routines or job before/after routines or even separate jobs to disable the view while your job runs.

I dont know anything about RedBrick, but maybe this will point you in a useful direction.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, 1 November 2001 11:08 PM
To: Datastage List
Subject: Info messages

I have a job that reads a text file and loads it into a Redbrick database. For those of you who know Redbrick, the table I am loading into has a precomputed view running on top of it. This means every time I do an insert, the precomputed view gets disabled, and again enabled when the insert is complete.

The problem now is that, when using Datastage, I get this message back for every record being inserted. 1 Million inserts - 1 million messages

"WARNING ** (1932) The precomputed view CUST_TOT_TEST_VIEW has been marked invalid."

This is one job - no job control or anything - just a simple load. How can I get rid of these informational messages ?

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit." -Helen Keller

This message contains information intended for the perusal, and/or use (if so stated), by the stated addressee(s) only. The information is confidential and privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, do not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute, copy or in any manner rely upon the information contained in this message (directly or indirectly). The sender and/or the entity represented by the sender shall not be held accountable in the event that this prohibition is disregarded. If you receive this message in error, notify the sender immediately by e-mail, fax or telephone representations contained in this message, whether express or implied, are those of the sender only, unless that sender expressly states them to be the views or representations of an entity or person, who shall be named by the sender and who the sender shall state to represent. No liability shall otherwise attach to any other entity or person. ==========================================================
admin

Post by admin »

Ok, I tried this one first, seeing that it is an easier solution and I can keep the control inside Datastage.

When running the before-job routine to disable the view, the status sent back is 1932. In Redbrick 1932 means "the view has been disabled". This is exactly what I want, but Datastage sees this as an error, and aborts the job.

Is it possible to work around this ?

Dirk

Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 3:17 PM
To: datastage-users@oliver.com
Subject: RE: Info messages

If so, can you use stage before/after routines or job before/after routines or even separate jobs to disable the view while your job runs.

I dont know anything about RedBrick, but maybe this will point you in a useful direction.

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

Again I am limited by my lack of knowledge of RedBrick or how you achieved this in a before-job routine.

However, assuming that you did it in a before-job routine, then it must be possible to write your own routine which calls whatever you put in the before-job routine field in job properties.

Your own routine can then do whatever error checking you want and return whatever codes (presumably not 1932) back to the job.

Sent: Friday, 2 November 2001 12:15 AM

Ok, I tried this one first, seeing that it is an easier solution and I can keep the control inside Datastage.

When running the before-job routine to disable the view, the status sent back is 1932. In Redbrick 1932 means "the view has been disabled". This is exactly what I want, but Datastage sees this as an error, and aborts the job.

Dirk

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

Thanks David, I see what you mean. Ill have to brush up on my scripting skills and find a way for the script to return a 0 status.

Thanks for the advise.
Dirk

Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 4:21 PM

Again I am limited by my lack of knowledge of RedBrick or how you achieved this in a before-job routine.

However, assuming that you did it in a before-job routine, then it must be possible to write your own routine which calls whatever you put in the before-job routine field in job properties.

Your own routine can then do whatever error checking you want and return whatever codes (presumably not 1932) back to the job.

Dirk

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

Are you loading Red Brick through an ODBC stage or the Red Brick (tmu) stage? I would guess an ODBC stage, because youre complaining of row-by-row errors. IS the setting of PRECOMPUTED VIEW MAINTENANCE ON ERROR in rbw.config INVALID? Can you experiment with commands such as SET STATS OFF, or SET USE INVALID PRECOMPUTED VIEW ON, to see whether these prevent the errors from occurring? Were you to use the Red Brick loader stage, the error messages could be captured/avoided by redirecting stderr from the rb_tmu command that runs the script. My $0.02 worth.

Sent: Friday, 02 November 2001 01:29

Thanks David, I see what you mean. Ill have to brush up on my scripting skills and find a way for the script to return a 0 status.

Thanks for the advise.
Dirk

Dirk

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

Dirk,

Check that you have the following environment variable set in .dsenv: DISABLE_INFO=YES

It should stop Red Brick from returning informational messages.

Hope this helps,
Anthony Correte.

PS: Remember to stop and start DataStage for the new environment variable to take effect.

--- Dirk Moolman wrote:
> Thanks David, I see what you mean. Ill have to brush up on my
> scripting skills and find a way for the script to return a 0 status.
>
> Thanks for the advise.
> Dirk
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: David Barham [mailto:david@barham.hm]
> Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 4:21 PM
> To: datastage-users@oliver.com
> Subject: RE: Info messages
>
>
> Again I am limited by my lack of knowledge of RedBrick or how you
> achieved this in a before-job routine.
>
> However, assuming that you did it in a before-job routine, then it
> must be possible to write your own routine which calls whatever you
> put in the before-job routine field in job properties.
>
> Your own routine can then do whatever error checking you want and
> return whatever codes (presumably not 1932) back to the job.
>
> From: Dirk Moolman [mailto:dirkm@reach.co.za]
> Sent: Friday, 2 November 2001 12:15 AM
>
> Ok, I tried this one first, seeing that it is an easier solution and I
> can keep the control inside Datastage.
>
> When running the before-job routine to disable the view, the status
> sent back is 1932. In Redbrick 1932 means "the view has been
> disabled". This is exactly what I want, but Datastage sees this as an
> error, and aborts the job.
>
> Is it possible to work around this ?
>
> Dirk
>
> Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 3:17 PM
>
>
> Does redbrick allow you to manually disable the precomputed view?
>
> If so, can you use stage before/after routines or job before/after
> routines or even separate jobs to disable the view while your job
> runs.
>
> I dont know anything about RedBrick, but maybe this will point you in
> a useful direction.
>
> Sent: Thursday, 1 November 2001 11:08 PM
> To: Datastage List
> Subject: Info messages
>
> I have a job that reads a text file and loads it into a Redbrick
> database. For those of you who know Redbrick, the table I am loading
> into has a precomputed view running on top of it. This means every
> time I do an insert, the precomputed view gets disabled, and again
> enabled when the insert is complete.
>
> The problem now is that, when using Datastage, I get this message back
> for every record being inserted. 1 Million inserts - 1 million
> messages
>
> "WARNING ** (1932) The precomputed view CUST_TOT_TEST_VIEW has been
> marked invalid."
>
>
> This is one job - no job control or anything - just a simple load. How
> can I get rid of these informational messages ?
>
>
> Dirk Moolman
> Database Administrator
> Reach Technologies
> South Africa
>
> www.thefuelgroup.co.za
>
> "No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an
> uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit." -Helen
> Keller
>
>
>
>
> ==========================================================
> This message contains information intended for the perusal, and/or use
> (if so stated), by the stated addressee(s) only. The information is
> confidential and privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, do
> not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute, copy or in any manner rely
> upon the information contained in this message (directly or
> indirectly). The sender and/or the entity represented by the sender
> shall not be held accountable in the event that this prohibition is
> disregarded. If you receive this message in error, notify the sender
> immediately by e-mail, fax or telephone representations contained in
> this message, whether express or implied, are those of the sender
> only, unless that sender expressly states them to be the views or
> representations of an entity or person, who shall be named by the
> sender and who the sender shall state to represent. No liability shall
> otherwise attach to any other entity or person.
>

http://briefcase.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Briefcase
- Manage your files online.
admin

Post by admin »

Yes, Ive set this variable inside the dsenv file, thanks.

(UNIX): export DISABLE_INFO=YES

I guess the precomputed view messages are not just informational messages, because I am still getting them.

Thanks for the help
Dirk

From: Anthony Corrente [mailto:anthony_corrente@yahoo.com.au]
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 12:58 AM

Dirk,

Check that you have the following environment variable set in .dsenv: DISABLE_INFO=YES

It should stop Red Brick from returning informational messages.

Hope this helps,
Anthony Correte.

PS: Remember to stop and start DataStage for the new environment variable to take effect.

--- Dirk Moolman wrote:
> Thanks David, I see what you mean. Ill have to brush up on my
> scripting skills and find a way for the script to return a 0 status.
>
> Thanks for the advise.
> Dirk
>
> Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 4:21 PM
>
>
> Again I am limited by my lack of knowledge of RedBrick or how you
> achieved this in a before-job routine.
>
> However, assuming that you did it in a before-job routine, then it
> must be possible to write your own routine which calls whatever you
> put in the before-job routine field in job properties.
>
> Your own routine can then do whatever error checking you want and
> return whatever codes (presumably not 1932) back to the job.
>
> Sent: Friday, 2 November 2001 12:15 AM
>
> Ok, I tried this one first, seeing that it is an easier solution and I
> can keep the control inside Datastage.
>
> When running the before-job routine to disable the view, the status
> sent back is 1932. In Redbrick 1932 means "the view has been
> disabled". This is exactly what I want, but Datastage sees this as an
> error, and
aborts
> the job.
>
> Is it possible to work around this ?
>
> Dirk
>
> Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 3:17 PM
>
>
> Does redbrick allow you to manually disable the precomputed view?
>
> If so, can you use stage before/after routines or job before/after
routines
> or even separate jobs to disable the view while your job runs.
>
> I dont know anything about RedBrick, but maybe this will point you in
> a useful direction.
>
> Sent: Thursday, 1 November 2001 11:08 PM
> To: Datastage List
> Subject: Info messages
>
> I have a job that reads a text file and loads it into a Redbrick
> database. For those of you who know Redbrick, the table I am loading
> into has a precomputed view running on top of it. This means every
> time I do an insert, the precomputed view gets disabled, and again
> enabled when the insert is complete.
>
> The problem now is that, when using Datastage, I get this message back
> for every record being inserted. 1 Million inserts - 1 million
> messages
>
> "WARNING ** (1932) The precomputed view CUST_TOT_TEST_VIEW has been
> marked invalid."
>
>
> This is one job - no job control or anything - just a simple load. How
> can I get rid of these informational messages ?
>
>
> Dirk Moolman
> Database Administrator
> Reach Technologies
> South Africa
>
> www.thefuelgroup.co.za
>
> "No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an
> uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit." -Helen
> Keller
>
>
>
>
> This message contains information intended for the perusal, and/or use
> (if so stated), by the stated addressee(s) only. The information is
> confidential and privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, do
> not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute, copy or in any manner rely
> upon the information contained in this message (directly or
> indirectly). The sender and/or the entity represented by the sender
> shall not be held accountable in the event that this prohibition is
> disregarded. If you receive this message in error, notify the sender
> immediately by e-mail, fax or
telephone
> representations contained in this message, whether express or implied,
> are those of the sender only, unless that sender expressly states them
> to be the views or representations of an entity or person, who shall
> be named by the sender and who the sender shall state to represent. No
> liability shall otherwise attach to any other entity or person.
>

http://briefcase.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Briefcase
- Manage your files online.
admin

Post by admin »

Yes, Im doing it through an ODBC stage. Ive tried the SET STATS OFF command, but this didnt work - I think these messages dont fall under the same category of messages.

They are also not error messages. Because I have my precomputed view maintenance set to ON, they get disabled / enabled as I go along, so these are standard messages.

Now that we are on the subject, what type of messages does one get ? Some of them start with "WARNING" and other messages start with "INFORMATION" I would guess they are all seen as standard output and that SET STATS ON would be something different.

Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 11:36 PM

Are you loading Red Brick through an ODBC stage or the Red Brick (tmu) stage? I would guess an ODBC stage, because youre complaining of row-by-row errors. IS the setting of PRECOMPUTED VIEW MAINTENANCE ON ERROR in rbw.config INVALID? Can you experiment with commands such as SET STATS OFF, or SET USE INVALID PRECOMPUTED VIEW ON, to see whether these prevent the errors from occurring? Were you to use the Red Brick loader stage, the error messages could be captured/avoided by redirecting stderr from the rb_tmu command that runs the script. My $0.02 worth.

Sent: Friday, 02 November 2001 01:29

Thanks for the advise.
Dirk

Dirk

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za