Deleting column definitions

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

Deleting column definitions

Post by admin »

Hi, I am busy creating a lot of jobs which are very similar, so what I do is to copy jobs and then change the detail inside the jobs.

Under the columns tab I then have to delete all the column definitions from the job I copied and load a different table. How can I delete all the columns in one delete. The only way I know how to do it now is to press delete on every column and then confirm the delete by entering on "Yes", so for 50 columns I have to do 50 deletes (100 keystrokes). Is there a short way of doing this ? I even tried holding down the shift key and highlighting all the columns, but this doesnt work.

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit." -Helen Keller

==========================================================
This message contains information intended for the perusal, and/or use (if so stated), by the stated addressee(s) only. The information is confidential and privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, do not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute, copy or in any manner rely upon the information contained in this message (directly or indirectly). The sender and/or the entity represented by the sender shall not be held accountable in the event that this prohibition is disregarded. If you receive this message in error, notify the sender immediately by e-mail, fax or telephone representations contained in this message, whether express or implied, are those of the sender only, unless that sender expressly states them to be the views or representations of an entity or person, who shall be named by the sender and who the sender shall state to represent. No liability shall otherwise attach to any other entity or person. ==========================================================
admin

Post by admin »

Dirk,
Highlight the first row, move to the last row and do a shift click to highlight the whole table.
Press delete and all rows will be removed.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, 31 October 2001 5:55 PM
To: Datastage List
Subject: Deleting column definitions

Hi, I am busy creating a lot of jobs which are very similar, so what I do is to copy jobs and then change the detail inside the jobs.

Under the columns tab I then have to delete all the column definitions from the job I copied and load a different table. How can I delete all the columns in one delete. The only way I know how to do it now is to press delete on every column and then confirm the delete by entering on "Yes", so for 50 columns I have to do 50 deletes (100 keystrokes). Is there a short way of doing this ? I even tried holding down the shift key and highlighting all the columns, but this doesnt work.

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit." -Helen Keller

This message contains information intended for the perusal, and/or use (if so stated), by the stated addressee(s) only. The information is confidential and privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, do not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute, copy or in any manner rely upon the information contained in this message (directly or indirectly). The sender and/or the entity represented by the sender shall not be held accountable in the event that this prohibition is disregarded. If you receive this message in error, notify the sender immediately by e-mail, fax or telephone representations contained in this message, whether express or implied, are those of the sender only, unless that sender expressly states them to be the views or representations of an entity or person, who shall be named by the sender and who the sender shall state to represent. No liability shall otherwise attach to any other entity or person. ==========================================================
admin

Post by admin »

I tried this, but it does not work on my version. I am using version 4.2 on Windows 2000.

I am working with sequential and odbc stages.

Dirk

Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 9:12 AM
To: datastage-users@oliver.com
Subject: RE: Deleting column definitions

Dirk,
Highlight the first row, move to the last row and do a shift click to highlight the whole table.

Peter

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

The trick is to go to the transform end of the link and delete the columns in the transform stage. Deleting, cutting and pasting are much more useful in the transform stage.

Sent: Wednesday, 31 October 2001 5:30 PM

I tried this, but it does not work on my version. I am using version 4.2 on Windows 2000.

Dirk

Dirk,

Peter

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

I tried this in the transform stage now, but it does the same there as in the sequential and odbc stages. I still have to delete columns one by one ...... unless I misunderstood you somewhere ...

Dirk

Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 9:51 AM

The trick is to go to the transform end of the link and delete the columns in the transform stage. Deleting, cutting and pasting are much more useful in the transform stage.

Dirk

Dirk,

Peter

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

Use the top half of the window, not the bottom half.

Sent: Wednesday, 31 October 2001 9:17 PM

I tried this in the transform stage now, but it does the same there as in the sequential and odbc stages. I still have to delete columns one by one ...... unless I misunderstood you somewhere ...

Dirk

Dirk

Dirk,

Peter

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

Off course, thanks for the help David. This will definitely save me some time and effort.

Regards
Dirk

Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 1:37 PM

Dirk

Dirk

Dirk,

Peter

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

When you highlight the rows to do your deletes, make sure you are in the row to the far left, the one that is empty except for the arrow. If you click in that spot, it will highlight the entire row. Then move down to the final row and click in that same spot while holding down the shift key. That will highlight every column in every row. Then press "delete".

>>> david@barham.hm 10/31/01 06:36AM >>>

Dirk

Dirk

Dirk,

Peter

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

So simple actually, I was just clicking in the wrong place.

Thanks Lindi, I appreciate the help.

Dirk

Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 4:37 PM

When you highlight the rows to do your deletes, make sure you are in the row to the far left, the one that is empty except for the arrow. If you click in that spot, it will highlight the entire row. Then move down to the final row and click in that same spot while holding down the shift key. That will highlight every column in every row. Then press "delete".

Dirk

Dirk

Dirk,

Peter

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

I did the same thing...... :)

>>> dirkm@reach.co.za 10/31/01 09:45AM >>>
So simple actually, I was just clicking in the wrong place.

Thanks Lindi, I appreciate the help.

Dirk

Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 4:37 PM

Dirk

Dirk

Dirk,

Peter

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

Using DataStage 5.1 you can take full advantage of some of the new features:

1) Take the job design create a shared container from it and them move the container into each job and localize it before customizing it. Depending on the differences in your job designs you could even containerize the first part of the job in a shared container and then just use the shared container in the jobs and customize the output after the transform meaning you reduce the amount of maintenance required.

2) To remove the output columns in the designer in the transformer stage, right click in the output link in the top window. Select the "Select All" Option Right click again and select "Delete All" Then click on the "Yes To All" Option. It will then delete all the columns with no confirmation messages.

Cheers

Steve

Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 2:12 AM

Dirk,

Peter

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za