Transaction logging

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

Transaction logging

Post by admin »

In a job I have, the "Rows per transaction" is set to 0, which means all records are seen as one transaction. When the job aborts, the data is not rolled back. All records before the error are still written to the table.

How do I change this so that all the records roll back ? I want to do this to keep the loading process simple and clean. This will allow me to fix any errors and reload the complete file again.

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit." -Helen Keller

==========================================================
This message contains information intended for the perusal, and/or use (if so stated), by the stated addressee(s) only. The information is confidential and privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, do not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute, copy or in any manner rely upon the information contained in this message (directly or indirectly). The sender and/or the entity represented by the sender shall not be held accountable in the event that this prohibition is disregarded. If you receive this message in error, notify the sender immediately by e-mail, fax or telephone representations contained in this message, whether express or implied, are those of the sender only, unless that sender expressly states them to be the views or representations of an entity or person, who shall be named by the sender and who the sender shall state to represent. No liability shall otherwise attach to any other entity or person. ==========================================================
admin

Post by admin »

Oh yes, I am using version 4.2, which does not have the "On OK / On Fail" options

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 3:51 PM
To: Datastage List
Subject: Transaction logging

In a job I have, the "Rows per transaction" is set to 0, which means all records are seen as one transaction. When the job aborts, the data is not rolled back. All records before the error are still written to the table.

How do I change this so that all the records roll back ? I want to do this to keep the loading process simple and clean. This will allow me to fix any errors and reload the complete file again.

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit." -Helen Keller

This message contains information intended for the perusal, and/or use (if so stated), by the stated addressee(s) only. The information is confidential and privileged. If you are not an intended recipient, do not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute, copy or in any manner rely upon the information contained in this message (directly or indirectly). The sender and/or the entity represented by the sender shall not be held accountable in the event that this prohibition is disregarded. If you receive this message in error, notify the sender immediately by e-mail, fax or telephone representations contained in this message, whether express or implied, are those of the sender only, unless that sender expressly states them to be the views or representations of an entity or person, who shall be named by the sender and who the sender shall state to represent. No liability shall otherwise attach to any other entity or person. ==========================================================
admin

Post by admin »

What database are you running on (writing to)? Is it possible that you have the DB set to commit by default on a connection end?

jason

Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 9:51 AM

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

We are writing our data to Redbrick (datawarehouse). Im not very familiar with Redbrick yet, so Ill have to find out if I can set an option like this on the DB.

Thanks
Dirk

Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 9:38 PM
To: datastage-users@oliver.com
Subject: RE: Transaction logging

What database are you running on (writing to)? Is it possible that you have the DB set to commit by default on a connection end?

jason

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

Red Brick Decision Server is a database designed from the ground up for data warehousing. As such, it does not have row level locking and does not have transactions. Therefore it does not have the concept of commit. In a sense, every INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE is auto-commit, with no choice. Most users or Red Brick Decision Server do not update the database row by row using SQL statements; they use the table management utility (tmu), effectively a bulk loader. This has the advantage that separate, parallel, processes can update the indexes on a machine with multiple CPUs, by using the parallel table management utility (ptmu).

Sent: Wednesday, 24 October 2001 16:30

We are writing our data to Redbrick (datawarehouse). Im not very familiar with Redbrick yet, so Ill have to find out if I can set an option like this on the DB.

Thanks
Dirk

jason

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za

admin

Post by admin »

Thank you Ray. I assume that I wont have control over the transactions then. Datastage will pass the record to Redbrick which will either accept or reject the record - end of story.

Pity, it will make life a bit more difficult when a job aborts and I have to restart the job where it left off .....

Thanks for the help.
Dirk

Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 9:47 AM

Red Brick Decision Server is a database designed from the ground up for data warehousing. As such, it does not have row level locking and does not have transactions. Therefore it does not have the concept of commit. In a sense, every INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE is auto-commit, with no choice. Most users or Red Brick Decision Server do not update the database row by row using SQL statements; they use the table management utility (tmu), effectively a bulk loader. This has the advantage that separate, parallel, processes can update the indexes on a machine with multiple CPUs, by using the parallel table management utility (ptmu).

Sent: Wednesday, 24 October 2001 16:30

Thanks
Dirk

jason

Dirk Moolman
Database Administrator
Reach Technologies
South Africa

www.thefuelgroup.co.za