Request for Comments on Unidata 5.2.x

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

Request for Comments on Unidata 5.2.x

Post by admin »

This is a topic for an orphaned message.
admin

Post by admin »

We are up to 5.2.17 and have no problems with it on NT 4 or 2000. The only release we have had an issue with lately was 5.2.9 where looking at a variable in debug caused the session to freeze. So I would have no concerns about 5.2 over 5.1.

Since you are on SB 4 I would also serious look at moving to 5, we had a number of issues with 4, not least GUI response time, that have been greatly improved on 5

George

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 16 October 2001 23:05
To: u2-users@oliver.com
Subject: Request for Comments on Unidata 5.2.x

We are currently at the start of a process to upgrade our clients versions of our software, Unidata, and System Builder.

Most of our (70+) clients are running Win NT 4.0, Unidata 5.1.10 and SB 4.5.4. The sites range from 5 to 100+ users. The larger sites are running on AIX. There is not much fancy stuff going on and only a handful use Object call to connect to a third party app.

Current sites that we have installed over the last 6 months have been put on 5.1.27. Some sites have upgraded to 5.1.27 for the SP6 support (and the fixes to dumpgroup and udtsort.exe).

So far 5.1.27 has been pretty good to us. One site had a *lot* of problems after the upgrade and we put them back down (about 2 hrs later). I have also noticed some strange messages while doing an ACCT_RESTORE ("mv: the name specified is not recognized as an internal ....").

Does anybody have any recommendations/warnings about upgrading to 5.2? Is there a "good solid" version available? Are there any I should avoid? Should I stick with 5.1.27? Is there another version of 5.1 I should "standardize" on?

Thanks for any and all input.

Colin Alfke
Product Development Manager
Vertical Technologies Inc.
#450, 800 - 6 Ave. S.W. Calgary T2P 3G3
P:(403) 237-7095 F:(403)237-7080
admin

Post by admin »

Thanks George - thats good to hear.

Weve been a little gun shy about updating SB though. Our transition from 3.x to 4.5.3 did not go easily.

We did just upgrade a new client to SBClient 5.? as there 4.5.4 sessions were doing some very strange things.

How did you find the transition to SB 5?

Thanks greatly,

Colin Alfke

Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 9:49 AM
Subject: RE: Request for Comments on Unidata 5.2.x

We are up to 5.2.17 and have no problems with it on NT 4 or 2000. The only release we have had an issue with lately was 5.2.9 where looking at a variable in debug caused the session to freeze. So I would have no concerns about 5.2 over 5.1.

Since you are on SB 4 I would also serious look at moving to 5, we had a number of issues with 4, not least GUI response time, that have been greatly improved on 5

George

We are currently at the start of a process to upgrade our clients versions of our software, Unidata, and System Builder.

Most of our (70+) clients are running Win NT 4.0, Unidata 5.1.10 and SB 4.5.4. The sites range from 5 to 100+ users. The larger sites are running on AIX. There is not much fancy stuff going on and only a handful use Object call to connect to a third party app.

Current sites that we have installed over the last 6 months have been put on 5.1.27. Some sites have upgraded to 5.1.27 for the SP6 support (and the fixes to dumpgroup and udtsort.exe).

So far 5.1.27 has been pretty good to us. One site had a *lot* of problems after the upgrade and we put them back down (about 2 hrs later). I have also noticed some strange messages while doing an ACCT_RESTORE ("mv: the name specified is not recognized as an internal ....").

Does anybody have any recommendations/warnings about upgrading to 5.2? Is there a "good solid" version available? Are there any I should avoid? Should I stick with 5.1.27? Is there another version of 5.1 I should "standardize" on?

Colin Alfke
admin

Post by admin »

We actually skipped 4 and went from 3 to 5. We werent happy with 4 for a number of reasons although GUI performance was a lot of it and by the time we had geared ourselves up to doing it 5 was on the way. Moving to 5 didnt cause us any significant problems but did cause work particularly in stripping out of our GUI definitions all the embedded font and colour information that was no longer necessary. But it was worth it in that the result is much better - and all of that may have been harder because we missed out 4

George

Sent: 19 October 2001 21:38

Thanks George - thats good to hear.

Weve been a little gun shy about updating SB though. Our transition from 3.x to 4.5.3 did not go easily.

We did just upgrade a new client to SBClient 5.? as there 4.5.4 sessions were doing some very strange things.

How did you find the transition to SB 5?

Thanks greatly,

Colin Alfke

Sent: Friday, October 19, 2001 9:49 AM

George

Colin Alfke