Error Trapping

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

Error Trapping

Post by admin »

Is there a way to have Data Stage capture multiple errors on 1 input record.... ..but create multiple error rows in the reject file for each of the "column" errors that were found on the record?

Thank You,

Patricia Desiano
Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
MSG - BudNET
admin

Post by admin »

We would like to use option 2 as a method for error trapping, but since we are relative new to this tool, could someone help us out on how you would set the flag on when it encounters an error at a column level.

Thanks.

Peter Chow
Regence Group of Idaho.

Rick Schirm on 05/31/2001 03:02:35 PM

Please respond to informix-datastage@oliver.com

To: "informix-datastage@oliver.com"
cc: (bcc: Peter Chow/MSB/TBG)

Subject: RE: Error Trapping

Patricia,

There are a couple of methods that you could do this.

1. From the transformer you would have multiple output links one being the good data and all the others being the individual errors for the columns. This would have to have a compound constraint on the valid output link and then have negating constraints on each of the other links. This would have to be written out to a DB type of file (hash,odbc,etc..) and not a Seq File.

2. Or you could have just 2 outputs one that has the constraints of good columns on it and then have the other flagged as rejected rows. Then in the column specification include all the data columns and then add a data column for each column validation and place a 1 or 0 for failure or not. What this provides you with is a Sequential or DB file that has all the data and a flag for each column that can be easily imported into excel or reported on to give you counts like for all of the rejects that we had this many had this column bad and such. It also places all the information for the bad columns in one location with the data so that multiple files do not need to be looked at to determine errors.

I prefer using the second design as this will also run more efficiently and keeps all the data together.

PS Say hello to Doug H. for me. I owe him a call; tell him I have not forgotten about him. ______________________________

Rick Schirm
VP Operations
2201 Harwood Rd.
Bedford, TX 76021

mailto:rick.schirm@performart.com
http://www.performart.com
Phone 817-318-6278

-----Original Message-----
From: Desiano, Patricia [mailto:Patricia.Desiano@anheuser-busch.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 4:55 PM
To: informix-datastage@oliver.com
Subject: Error Trapping

Is there a way to have Data Stage capture multiple errors on 1 input record.... ..but create multiple error rows in the reject file for each of the "column" errors that were found on the record?

Thank You,

Patricia Desiano
Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
MSG - BudNET