Jobs that "stick"

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

Jobs that "stick"

Post by admin »

I have a DS job that is a "batch" conrol job
that runs a set of other jobs. In code the
jobs are executed every 5 minutes in a loop
using a LOOP ... REPEAT construct.
Sometimes the batch gets stuck. Directer
will show it is running but a look at the log
at the last entry will show batchjob: JobControl (DSWaitForJob):Wating for job1 to finish". A look at the log for "job1" will show it has finished! Has anyone encountered this problem? There is no error generated so I dont know how you catch this in code. The batch job seems to wait, and wait, ........ and wait......... until there is some human intervention. My only fix so far is to first, babysit the batch job during the course of the day then if stuck, use the "clear status file" in Director (the batch job). Then compile and restart. Can anyone out there give me explanation on what is going on and how to fix this? Im running Datastage 4.01 on NT 4.0.

Mark Detwiler
admin

Post by admin »

Do I execute the DSDetachJob() subroutine? No, I
dont. It is important the jobs start and finish in the order they are run. If I have 5 jobs in the batch job then job 1 must finish before job 2 starts and so on.... So the controlling job cant give back the job handle prematurely (If understand the DSDetachJob function properly).

Im not sure of the exact DS release since Im not in the office. I can verify that when I get in after the holiday.

These batch jobs ( and there are several) can run for
days before they get "stuck" and it happens with different
jobs attached to different database stages. The only
thing that seems consistant is the sticking at the
DSWaitForJob function, like its waiting for a result value that will never come.

Ray, do you suspect this may be some kind of DS bug?

Mark

-----Original Message-----
To: informix-datastage@oliver.com
Date: Monday, May 28, 2001 4:50 AM
Subject: RE: Jobs that "stick"

>After running a controlled job, do you execute the DSDetachJob()
subroutine?
>
>Can you provide your actual, full, release (e.g. 4.0.1r2)? There are
>some bugs fixed in the r2 release of 4.0.1.
>
admin

Post by admin »

After running a controlled job, do you execute the DSDetachJob() subroutine?

Can you provide your actual, full, release (e.g. 4.0.1r2)? There are some bugs fixed in the r2 release of 4.0.1.
admin

Post by admin »

I agree with Ray. You should be able to detach the job and still keep the jobs running in order. I was having this same problem a while back and I added the dsdetachjob(). I start the job, wait for it to finish, get any stats I need, and then detach from the job. This will also make sure you dont run out of open file handles. I also made sure my control batch could exit properly by adding an ExitGood label. This may not be what is happening to you, but my code could not find its way over some subroutines to exit.

Good Luck,
David

Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2001 8:02 PM
Subject: Re: Jobs that "stick"

Do I execute the DSDetachJob() subroutine? No, I
dont. It is important the jobs start and finish in the order they are run. If I have 5 jobs in the batch job then job 1 must finish before job 2 starts and so on.... So the controlling job cant give back the job handle prematurely (If understand the DSDetachJob function properly).

Im not sure of the exact DS release since Im not in the office. I can verify that when I get in after the holiday.

These batch jobs ( and there are several) can run for
days before they get "stuck" and it happens with different
jobs attached to different database stages. The only
thing that seems consistant is the sticking at the
DSWaitForJob function, like its waiting for a result value that will never come.

Ray, do you suspect this may be some kind of DS bug?

Mark

Date: Monday, May 28, 2001 4:50 AM
Subject: RE: Jobs that "stick"

>After running a controlled job, do you execute the DSDetachJob()
subroutine?
>
>Can you provide your actual, full, release (e.g. 4.0.1r2)? There are
>some bugs fixed in the r2 release of 4.0.1.
>
***Note:The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the Sender immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Premier Inc.