UVBASIC calls to external Oracle Tables

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

UVBASIC calls to external Oracle Tables

Post by admin »

This is a topic for an orphaned message.
admin

Post by admin »

Seems like Oracle Corp is unaware that ODBC drivers exist in the UNIX world. Read on...

-----Original Message-----
From: mfrappol@ncshealth.com [mailto:mfrappol@ncshealth.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 21 February 2001 00:29
To: ray.wurlod@Informix.Com
Subject: RE: UVBASIC calls to external Oracle Tables

Ray;

Thought you would be interested in what the Oracle technical support suggested that I do:

ACTION PLAN
============
Explained to Mike that there are 2 options from the database perspective:

1. Sqlloader
If Mike can get the data dumped into an ascii file, he can use sqlloader to load it into the Oracle database.

2.Database link
He can do CREATE TABLE ... AS SELECT via database links. This is the longer of the 2 processes.

They suggested that I have UV make a flat file and then have Oracle import the file! They told that they were not aware of any method of directly sending data to Oracle! This really surprises me that UNIX is such an impediment.

Mike
admin

Post by admin »

Mike,

There are people out there on these lists who HAVE DONE what youre trying to do. Find some earlier posts in the archives, for example from Sara Burns, and get in touch with her. (Hers is not a DataStage site - they interface directly from UniVerse BASIC to an Oracle RDBMS in another building.)

Regards,
Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: mfrappol@ncshealth.com [mailto:mfrappol@ncshealth.com]
Sent: Thursday, 22 February 2001 04:17
To: ray.wurlod@Informix.Com
Cc: informix-mv@oliver.com; informix-datastage@oliver.com
Subject: RE: UVBASIC calls to external Oracle Tables

O.K, I dont hear anyone laughing, nor do I hear of any suggestions. I contacted the Merant Co. and they may have a solution if my release versions are just right. Ill let everyone know about it.

Right now, these are my selections:

>From Oracle -
Have UV make flat files and Oracle can import them with SQL Load.
Sounds good - but places a load on both DBs. Co-ordination issues

>From UV -
Use DataStage
Have seen it. "Swiss Army Knife" approach, like Redback (slow). Almost same approach as above. Do not know if tabulations of
data from separate files is possible since the data is currently "massaged" prior to sending to Oracle.
Also requires an NT/98 Workstation for control. Co-ordination issues.

UniObjects
Use development tools from UV and Oracle and "build the bridge" between them. Requires running from an NT/2000 platform; but, this
approach reduces the co-ordination issue. Create an NT service to co-ordinate and run the programs as necessary. Could be fast and most
DB work is off-loaded from the servers. Reduces license issues.

Redback Keep everything the same - no change.

As I have indicated, both Merant and Open Link are working on finding a solution. Its been a week now, doesnt look good. I rather NOT being a beta.

Mike