Oracle 8.1.6 and DataStage 4.0

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

Oracle 8.1.6 and DataStage 4.0

Post by admin »

Hi all,

We are going to be running this combination on a SUN 4500 box 4 CPU 2GB RAM machine. In reference to an e-mail posting to this group or informix-mv@oliver.com a few weeks ago by Ray Wurlod about oracle bequeath drivers and there performance benefits.

My questions are:

What exactly are they?
How do they work?
Are they installed as part of a normal oracle server install? Where do they fit in, regarding the architecture of oracle/sqlnet/oci/odbc etc? Is anything else needed to get them working with DataStage?

TIA

Phil Walker
admin

Post by admin »

As I understand it, "bequeath" is a different way of establishing a connection to Oracle where it is running on the same box. I will defer to Ray or anyone else who has actually tested the performance of a "bequeath" connection as opposed to a standard TCP connection.

One point worth noting is that if the client dies (or otherwise disappears), Oracle will not clean up the bequeath connection. It will stay there until it is manually cleaned up by an administrator. For a TCP connection, if the client dies, Oracle will detect this and clean up the session.

The necessary software components are a standard part of Oracle. It just comes down to how you configure the connection in tnsnames.ora (or with the GUI tool which does this for you).

DataStage still connects to Oracle in the same way using the ORAOCI8 plugin.

I played around with a bequeath connection a while back to see if it solved another problem I was having. I didnt. However, leaving dead sessions lying around didnt thrill me so I stopped using the bequeath connection.

I was not specifically testing the performance of bequeath vs TCP. I did not notice any performance difference.

I should also point out that we are using Oracle 8.0.4 and DataStage 3.5 under Windows NT.

Bequeath vs TCP is all about how the client talks to the Oracle listener and how the connection to the database is established and maintained. This is one of the areas where NT and Unix differ, so my experiences may not be a valid comparison.

If you pass your connection information into your jobs as parameters (as we
do) then it is easy to run a job using either bequeath or TCP. Alternatively, it is not hard to switch the definition of the connection in TNSNAMES.ORA to one or the other.

I would suggest that you give both a try and see what works for you.

Notwithstanding e few bugs in the client GUI of the ORAOCI8 plugin which I am told are fixed in DataStage 4, I am quite happy with ORAOCI8 and would use it in preference to ODBC. Given the need to find/buy additional ODBC drivers for Unix if you wanted to use it, I dont see why you would use ODBC.

Good luck.

-----Original Message-----
From: Walker, Phil (Forests Manukau) [SMTP:Phil.Walker@chh.co.nz]
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2000 10:07 AM
To: informix-datastage@oliver.com
Subject: Oracle 8.1.6 and DataStage 4.0

Hi all,

We are going to be running this combination on a SUN 4500 box 4 CPU 2GB RAM machine. In reference to an e-mail posting to this group or informix-mv@oliver.com a few weeks ago by Ray Wurlod about oracle bequeath drivers and there performance benefits.

My questions are:

What exactly are they?
How do they work?
Are they installed as part of a normal oracle server install? Where do they fit in, regarding the architecture of oracle/sqlnet/oci/odbc etc? Is anything else needed to get them working with DataStage?

TIA

Phil Walker

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify the sender by return e-mail, and delete this e-mail from your in-box. Do not copy it to anybody else