ORA-03113 error

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

ORA-03113 error

Post by admin »

Has anyone run into the following situation? We have jobs that update Oracle via an OCI8 stage. On occasion, we get the following error:
"ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel"

Our DBA and network people dont observe any communications problems. In fact, other people connected to Oracle have no problem at all. We run DS 3.1.1r3 on an NT Server talking to an Oracle 8 db on a DEC Alpha.

Thanks.

Brad Vincent
Compuware Corporation
c/o The Detroit Medical Center
Data Warehousing with a "health"-y spin
(313) 966-2176
admin

Post by admin »

Brad,

this has been a known (sporadic) issue with Oracle since sometime in the early 7s release. I have seen this on HP and IBM systems and remember dealing with the installations in-house support as well as Oracle directly to see if the cause could somehow be removed and must, to my shame, admit that I cant remember what Oracle did to solve it. I think it had something to do with network settings and access to remote instances, but it has been over 2 years and I dont recall any specifics.

Oracle support would be your best bet. In the cases that I recall this would happen less than 1% of the time and their setup allowed them to rerun the offending job - until the Oracle changes caused the problem to go away. I just remembered that I also programmed the UniVerse ODBC calls directly on one occasion and was confronted with the same 3113 error and had to code in a re-allocation of space and reconnection to the DB.

-Arnd.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2000 11:09
To: DataStage Mailing List
Subject: ORA-03113 error

Has anyone run into the following situation? We have jobs that update Oracle via an OCI8 stage. On occasion, we get the following error:
"ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel"

Our DBA and network people dont observe any communications problems. In fact, other people connected to Oracle have no problem at all. We run DS 3.1.1r3 on an NT Server talking to an Oracle 8 db on a DEC Alpha.

Thanks.

Brad Vincent
Compuware Corporation
c/o The Detroit Medical Center
Data Warehousing with a "health"-y spin
(313) 966-2176