Database Security

Archive of postings to DataStageUsers@Oliver.com. This forum intended only as a reference and cannot be posted to.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

admin

Database Security

Post by admin »

Hi All,

Wondered if anyone had a strategy for database security, i.e., database name, username, password for jobs.

We dont want to hardcode these parameters in any of the jobs, and also do not want them visible in the director to anyone who monitors jobs. Also we are looking for a way to make them dynamic, so that jobs can be run on different Unix servers and access different databases (development vs. test vs. production).

So far, I have included a job control which contains code to read in a text file from the DataStage unix directory, which contains the database, and a valid userid and password for updating the database. Then as each job is added to the job control, I have set the input parameters to those read in from the text file. I wonder if there is an easier way to do this? Perhaps as a function or before subroutine. But I am having trouble understanding how to set the input parameters to values returned from a before subroutine or function.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks,

Trish Adams
Compuware