Passing environment variables into production

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Passing environment variables into production

Post by kris007 »

Hi All,

I would like to know the process of promoting the environment variables from test environment to production environment. I am assuming we need to write a batch file( I am on windows) to create environment variables in production system.If so, how can pass passwords as encrypted variables through the batch file. It would be great if anyone could provide any guidance. Also, I would like to know if we need to carry out any more procedures( like specifying paths ). I have searched the forum, couldnt come up witha post that meets my requirements.

Note: I do not have administrator priveleges.

Thanks
Kris.
diamondabhi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by diamondabhi »

I think you would need administator privileges, and others please let me know if there is any other way to promote env variables, as I still key it in the new project.

Thanks,
Abhi.
Every great mistake has a halfway moment, a split second when it can be recalled and perhaps remedied.
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

I do not have them and the administrator does not want to create them manually in the production administrator. Is there a way to create the environment variables using a batch file.

Thanks
Kris.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Project-based environment variables are stored in a text file called DSParams, which is located in the project directory. You can copy DSParams, or relevant lines from it, into DSParams in the production environment (project directory). If you wanted to script this it should be reasonably straightforward for someone competent with whatever scripting language you choose to use.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
diamondabhi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by diamondabhi »

Thanks a lot Ray, You are the Best.

Abhi.
Every great mistake has a halfway moment, a split second when it can be recalled and perhaps remedied.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Probably better to build an intelligent copy mechanism of just the user-defined section. You do not want to overwrite parameters such as temp directory locations and you do not want to push development flag settings such as logging into production.

See the FAQ Project specific environment variables as job parameters and for screenshot examples see the blog entry DataStage tip: using job parameters without losing your mind.