insert data into table that is being populated

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

datastgnewbie
Participant

insert data into table that is being populated

Post by datastgnewbie »

Hi everyone,
I have a column X that is being populated, in the transformer, after that value has been populated i need to take column X and compare it to another reference table, to populate another column. I tried this so far and i kept crashing datastage. After column x was done i sent that to a hash file and than to a transformer where that was compared to the reference table, than sent back to another hash file where i sent it to the final table but it kept on crashing because the table was already open. If anyone has any suggestion it is greatly appriacated. THANKS
diamondabhi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by diamondabhi »

Can you post the exact error that you are getting?
Every great mistake has a halfway moment, a split second when it can be recalled and perhaps remedied.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

When you say Column X populated in transformer would make us assume that you are populating it through datastage(not from the table).
Post your design.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kris_daredevil
Participant

Post by kris_daredevil »

load the x column into file instead of loading into table and make look up with reference column and then finnaly load into table.
KRIS
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's unhelpful not having the exact error message. Chances are that you're trying to do too much with two few stages, or even too few jobs, and perhaps getting locking issues in the database.

Staging the intermediate data, perhaps into a file as the previous poster suggested, is one way, but you can get by simply by streaming the result of the first lookup into a second Transformer stage in order to perform the second lookup.

If there may be repeats in the source data, use a hashed file to contain a copy of current rows from the target table. The hashed file can be updated without needing to touch the target table. There are plenty of descriptions of this technique on this forum. A Search will find them.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kris_daredevil
Participant

Post by kris_daredevil »

ray.wurlod wrote:It's unhelpful not having the exact error message. Chances are that you're trying to do too much with two few stages, or even too few jobs, and perhaps getting locking issues in the database.

Stag ...
ray
i think he is loading the same table in the etl twice which is causing the etl job to hang!!!
KRIS