Need to Move DataStage Software

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bmeissk
Participant

Need to Move DataStage Software

Post by bmeissk »

We are running the DataStage 7.0 server on HP-UX and have installed it in the default file system /opt. Due to an O/S upgrade, we find that we need to free space on /opt and would like to relocate the DS software to a newly created file system. On first blush, it seemed that we could shutdown the server, tar the entire directory structure, untar it to the new file system and then update the corresponding dsenv and .dshome files with the new DSHOME. I tested this theory and found that although the server starts up, the client cannot connect returning the error "Falied to connect to host ... (Internal Error 80012)". This forum infers that the 80012 error is related to a "root" vs. "dsadm" problem. For what it's worth, impersonation mode is enabled. Has anyone successfully done this or are we traveling down the wrong road? What would be the best way to relocate the server software? Thanks for any ideas.
mauherga
Participant

Post by mauherga »

Hi bmeissk,

The best/sure I know way is that you export all your projects, backup your dsenv, uvconfig and dsdeadlock.config files, then uninstall DataStage Server. And then install a new DataStage in your new path and use your backup configuration files to set up, then import/compile your projects.

If only you need to free space, Ill recomend check the path in where is the projects, if is the same that you whant to free, export the projects, delete them and recreate the projects in a new path and then import the backups

I hope this can help u.
maurik
bmeissk
Participant

Post by bmeissk »

Thanks mauherga. None of the projects have been created beneath /opt, so from a space perspective, we only have the issue of moving the DataStage software itself. I have heard that the absolute path is embedded in the UV tables, so it sounds like a reinstall and export/import will be necessary (without a lot of hacking at least).
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

The easiest and 100% sure solution is to re-install the software after making sure your projects have been exported and backed up at the Unix level.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
bmeissk
Participant

Post by bmeissk »

Thanks all - looks like a consensus.