how can datastage help to create table definition

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

abhishekijain
Participant

how can datastage help to create table definition

Post by abhishekijain »

Hi All,

I have my source as COBOL extracted complex flat files. I only need to know if there is a shortest way to generate the table definitons. Well....so far I am doing it manually but would love to know if the tool can help me doing it.

Thanks,
abhishek
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not really.

Once you have table definitions you can save them into the repository, and there you can view them as standard, COBOL, or OSH schema (if parallel licensed).

But DataStage can not discover what columns exist in your data. The closest you can get is importing a Sequential File definition, where you go through a process of DataStage generating column names and guessing data types. This works most easily for delimited files or for fixed width format where you enter the column widths in the Format phase.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
abhishekijain
Participant

Post by abhishekijain »

Thanks for your reply.

Is there any other way to do it. Rather than doing manually...doing it mechanically is always preferable.

regards,
abhishek
abhishekijain
Participant

Table definition from Oracle

Post by abhishekijain »

Hi All,

I have another query. Suppose I have table already created in Oracle then can I import the table definition to Datastage. Please tell me the procedure if possible.

Thanks,
abhishek
ratikmishra1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ratikmishra1 »

Typically I do it using a server job. The OCI stage has the "generate ddl option" which prepares end excutes the DDL.

Show the simple job would be
CFF => TRansformer => OCI.

And to run the job I create empty file using touch filePathName.
abhishekijain
Participant

Post by abhishekijain »

Thanks for your reply ratik.

Well...I know how does that happen. Just want to know that if I can see tables and their definitions in TOAD and when they are created in ERwin then how can I use this information in Datastage..

I just want to import this metadata.

Please help me out here.
Thanks,
abhishek
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Table definition from Oracle

Post by chulett »

abhishekijain wrote:Suppose I have table already created in Oracle then can I import the table definition to Datastage. Please tell me the procedure if possible.
Manager / Import / Table Definitions / Plug-in Meta Data Definitions.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
abhishekijain
Participant

Post by abhishekijain »

Thanks a lot. That was really something I was looking for.

regards,
abhishek