Special Characters in the Email Field

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chowdary
Participant

Special Characters in the Email Field

Post by chowdary »

People,

I have an email field which i am extracting from a table and writing into a flat file. for some rows the email is in invalid format (example king~123@test.com,king%123@test.com etc). so i want to write the data in to the flat file whihc has valid email like the filed must have characters a-z or A-Z or numbers 0-9 or special characters '@','_','-' and remaining rows should go into another flat file. so how i can put the constraint, is there any function whihc i can check for the existence of particular characters

Please throw some suggestions.

Thanks
Chowdary
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You probably need a Routine to test whether an email address is valid or not. The same routine could return the valid or invalid address via system variables such as @USER0 through @USER4. It will help if you can exactly specify your requirements; in particular exactly which characters are legal (for example ":" can be legal in some contexts) and which are not.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.