What timing use in deadlock

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mauherga
Participant

What timing use in deadlock

Post by mauherga »

Hi,

I was read about deadlock using search but I can't find information about the way to determine the time to use, so I ask you.

What's the best delay of the frecuency in deadlock? The default is 900s. For a time I use 600s and I see some things that make me think that deadlock bloked some jobs.

Can you tellme what timing you use in your configuration and how to determine the best.

Thanks in advance.
maurik
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The deadlock daemon does not "block" anything. It wakes periodically (this is its "time" setting) to check whether there are any deadlocks in the Repository. Note that it does NOT check for deadlocks in your database servers. A secondary task performed by the deadlock daemon is to clean up any locks held by defunct processes; that is, processes that have ceased to exist as valid DataStage processes.

900 seconds (15 minutes) seems to be a reasonable interval for a well-managed repository, in which the likelihood of deadlocks is almost zero and the frequency of occurrence of defunct processes is minimal. Those seeking closer to instant gratification may like to make the interval shorter but beware that the deadlock daemon (dsdlockd) does eat quite a lot of CPU cycles when doing its thing.

Its output is recorded in the dsdlockd.log file is logging is enabled in dsdlockd.config.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.