Cannot find parameter file record DSParams in &UFD&

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

Hi All,

While creating Userdefined Environment variables I got the error message saying that

Code: Select all

and Now I dont see the DSParams File in my Project Folder. I saw the same file in the morning today in the Project Folder. Did anyone earlier come accros this issue. What is the course of action I need to take here to retrieve my DSParams File. Now, I cant see even the general environment variables in the environment tab in Administrator and some of my parameters in the Job Properties I defined earlier have vanished. I am not sure if I will be able to run my jobs now. Will check and see. If anyone could let me know what might have went wrong here..that would be great

Thanks
Kris
Amos.Rosmarin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Amos.Rosmarin »

Hi,

DSParams is a text file located in each DS project and as it's name declares, it holds the project specific parameters (which in general is what you see in the Administrsators' project properties screen)

I can not tell who stole the file, never seen this phenomenon. May guess is that someone deleted it by mistake.

Anyway, you can copy it from another project and then, if you must, you can edit it from the DS administrator.

Good luck

HTH,
Amos
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

All the things you talked about - and others, like project-wide defaults for job log purging and functions and system variables that are valid in expression editor - are stored in DSParams. Get one from another project as soon as possible!

&UFD& is a "file name" that DataStage uses to refer to the project directory. The ampersands identify this as a "system" file, and the letters stand for "User File Directory". There is an entry in the project VOC file for "&UFD&"; it's a file type with a pathname of "." for the data portion.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

Thanks..Did that. Was worried it happend without me deleting it.
Kris.
nvrts1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nvrts1 »

I suddently got the similar problem in a project while login but I still see DSParams File in the project directory.
" Cannot find parameter file record DSParams in UFD_"
I checked another project which also runs with same userid and has file size, permissions, date of update, but works fine.

Are there any other thing I need to check?. This problem arouse suddenly in a project that is working fine for a long time.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If you start a dssh session or go into the Administrator, what is the output when you issue the command "LIST &UFD& DSParams"?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check the permissions on the project directory and on the DSParams file.

If the DSParams file is missing, find out who deleted/renamed it and castigate them severely.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
nvrts1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nvrts1 »

ArndW wrote:If you start a dssh session or go into the Administrator, what is the output when you issue the command "LIST &UFD& DSParams"?
this is what I get
--------------------------
LIST &UFD& DSParams 01:42:36pm 01 Oct 2007 PAGE 1
OS filename...................

DSParams

1 records listed.
>

-----------
No body has deleted DSParams file.
permissions on the project directory and DSParams are same for both the working project and non woking project.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ok, that message means that your DSParams file is actually in the project directory. Can you explicitly set the permissions on the file to allow all access to everyone and see if your error message goes away?
nvrts1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nvrts1 »

ArndW wrote:Ok, that message means that your DSParams file is actually in the project directory. Can you explicitly set the permissions on the file to allow all access to everyone and see if your error message goes away?
I changed and tried to login, I get the same message while logging in . Even the different users like dsadm to other id's , I stll have same message around 10 times.
" Cannot find parameter file record DSParams in &UFD& " - first i get this message once.

" Cannot find parameter file record DSParams in UFD_ " - next I get this message no. of times before it allows me into the designer
nvrts1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nvrts1 »

nvrts1 wrote:
ArndW wrote:Ok, that message means that your DSParams file is actually in the project directory. Can you explicitly set the permissions on the file to allow all access to everyone and see if your error message goes away?
I changed and tried to login, I get the same message while logging in . Even the different users like dsadm to other id's , I stll have same message around 10 times.
" Cannot find parameter file record DSParams in &UFD& " - first i get this message once.

" Cannot find parameter file record DSParams in UFD_ " - next I get this message no. of times before it allows me into the designer
---
3 weeks back , I had this problem with one project. At that time I had to recreate this project for some other reasons. so it got solved.
But today I was told they got this problem in another project. I see this DSParams file in the project directory and it has 777 permission to every body.
The problem I had is developers belong to different company sits in thousands of miles away and they will not confess for any thing. if I look at the project directory, I see DSParams File not updated for a year and I see some hash files copied at the same time I see DATA.30 file in the project directory, which basically telling me that they are running some hash file copy script which copies hash file data from production env. to test env. and this could be screwing up some thing there. based on the time stamp the two files that are of interest in the project directory are VOC. Are there any thing in VOC that can create this problem when logging into datastage project. if so, what do I need to do to resolve it. I appreciate any help.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I'm not sure if I understood - you got the same error message but the DSParams file is still present with 777 permissions and a last modified date a long time in the past?

Also, there should never be a DATA.30 or OVER.30 in the project directory itself, only in the subdirectories.
DJRH
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DJRH »

ArndW wrote:I'm not sure if I understood - you got the same error message but the DSParams file is still present with 777 permissions and a last modified date a long time in the past?

Also, there should never be a DATA.30 or OVER.30 in the project directory itself, only in the subdirectories.
I had a smilar issue and deleting .Type30 file from the project directory resolved the problem.

Please see link below for detail...

viewtopic.php?t=119067&highlight=cannot+open+file+UFD
DJRH