REG : Writing Logs From Director to Sequential File

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Vinodanand
Premium Member
Premium Member

REG : Writing Logs From Director to Sequential File

Post by Vinodanand »

Hi,

Can any one lemme knw whether we can write the director logs for all the jobs in a project to a flat file . If so how...
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Vindodand,

I assume you mean "let me know" when you posted "lemme knw". There are two main ways to do this and both involve a bit of work. If you like shell or batch programming then you can use the "dsjob" executable to get a list of jobs in the project and then list out their log file contents, you can then capture that output in a sequential file.
The other method is similar, except you would do this from within a DataStage BASIC routine or job.

Which way are you looking at doing this?
Vinodanand
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Vinodanand »

ArndW wrote:Vindodand,

I assume you mean "let me know" when you posted "lemme knw". There are two main ways to do this and both involve a bit of work. If you like shell or batch programming then you can use the "dsjob" executable to get a list of jobs in the project and then list out their log file contents, you can then capture that output in a sequential file.
The other method is similar, except you would do this from within a DataStage BASIC routine or job.

Which way are you looking at doing this?
\

Arnd,

I'm kinda new to DS Coding so i'm not sure which one is efficient enough ... It wld be gr8 if u cld help me out on this... Thnx 4 ur prompt rep...
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Vinod,

unless you are using DSXchange from your telephone or other PDA without a full keyboard, I would be very appreciative if you could write

Code: Select all

It would be great if you could help me out on this... Thanks for your prompt reply
instead of
It wld be gr8 if u cld help me out on this... Thnx 4 ur prompt rep"
Neither of us is a native English speaker and it makes it much easier to read when we don't text at each other, and the saving in keystrokes is not that much in comparison to the understandability.

I did ask you which method you feel more comfortable with - doing it from outside of DataStage inside a shell script or from inside of DataStage with DS/Basic?
Vinodanand
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Vinodanand »

ArndW wrote:Vinod,

unless you are using DSXchange from your telephone or other PDA without a full keyboard, I would be very appreciative if you could write

Code: Select all

It would be great if you could help me out on this... Thanks for your prompt reply
instead of
It wld be gr8 if u cld help me out on this... Thnx 4 ur prompt rep"
Neither of us is a native English speaker and it makes it much easier to read when we don't text at each other, and the saving in keystrokes is not that much in comparison to the understandability.

I did ask you which method you feel more comfortable with - doing it from outside of DataStage inside a shell script or from inside of DataStage with DS/Basic?

Arnd,

Sure I will make it a point to key in words at full here on. I feel DS Basic shld be comfortable . I am not that gr8 in DS Basic but I think i can understand stuff a bit .
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I started to put a shell program together and then realized that certainly this has already been described - click here to the get FAQ answer to your question.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

The DS APIs are documented in your manuals, consider DSGetLogSummary and such. The command line dsjob is also well documented. How about you experiment with both? dsjob is really is to use, but the APIs give you more flexibility but require more programming. dsjob is easily used with a ksh or perl script but has less functionality.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
Vinodanand
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Vinodanand »

ArndW wrote:I started to put a shell program together and then realized that certainly this has already been described - click here to the get FAQ answer to your question.
Hi,

I tried logging in and it says the topic requested does not exist...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Worked fine for me...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Just click on the colored text, it should bring you straight to the post. At least it does when I cliock on it. You could also try browsing the FAQ for a subject titled "FAQ Suggestion: How can the director log be output to a file".
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What's wrong with Print To File from Director's Project menu?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

If people want to send me a DSX file where they have dumped the log to a table then please email it to me. I will add it to my links page.
Mamu Kim