job name length

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

manojkumarnayak
Participant

job name length

Post by manojkumarnayak »

what is the maximum length of a job name possible. Is 64 characters for all versions.

manoj
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

No, back before version 6 it was a bad idea to have really long job and stage names. I seem to remember 40 was about the maximum before DS internally started truncating things.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

I tried with 500 characters and it accepts although I dont see the full name on top of the Designer window.

Naveen.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The maximum length for a job name by default is 768 bytes. This is because the job name is the key to the hashed file DS_JOBS.

The maximum job name length is set by the MAXKEYLENGTH tunable in the uvconfig file. In current versions this is set to 768 by default. It can be increased to 2048, but there are implications for hashed files in doing so.

:!: Don't increase MAXKEYLENGTH without being very aware of the possible pitfalls.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.