When to update the table.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

anshumangupta1206
Participant

When to update the table.

Post by anshumangupta1206 »

Hi All,
I have a doubt, may be it sounds silly but I want to confirm. In my project we are validating record in one stage and forming a file after that. And in the new job by using same file we are updating table. Can anybody tell me, should I use the same job for both the purpose.

Thanks.
wed
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

It's up to you, technically it all works. If you are just writing a single isolated process, do what you want. If you are designing an ETL standard, then you need to factor in performance, restartability, scalability, maintainabilty, etc as well as setting the path for all other developers to follow. This is a long answer, because you are talking about a "framework" for developing jobs consistently.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Your use of a "staging area" is best practice for achieving restartability (you have already done the transformations, why do them again just because the target database may be unavailable?). If overall speed is the ultimate criterion, you would lose the intermediate file, but at the cost of needing to extract from source again and perform the transformations again in the case where the target table is not available.

Design and document some standards. Create templates that supply these standards. Make sure all developers follow the standards. For example:
  • Job naming and categories
    Stage and link naming
    Annotation colours (e.g. warnings are red on white)
    Description annotations
    Peer review processes
    Unit and system test processes
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.