Default Path for Files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

patonp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Default Path for Files

Post by patonp »

In our development environment, we're finding that some developers are occassionally unit testing jobs in which they've forgotten to specify a filename for sequential files. As a result, sequential files are automatically assigned their inbound linknames and placed in the project directory.

Although we're obviously encouraging developers to carefully check their code prior to execution, we're also wondering whether we could modify the default directory used when a path is not specified. Is it possible to specify a default directory that differs from the project directory? Any opinions as to whether this is a desirable approach?

Thanks for your help!

Peter
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm not aware of any mechanism to do so. The 'current working directory' of any job is the Project that it is running in so relative pathed files would be relative from there.

Best to fully path any files and use job parameters to specify those paths, in my opinion.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no such mechanism. Your developers will need to adopt a more disciplined approach (which includes cleaning up any such files created in the project directory). A standard set of parameters helps; parameters for source directory, rejects directory, work directory and so on.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I posted SQL recently which will allow you to find these jobs quickly. You could QA them before they are promoted to production.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Linky? :wink:
-craig

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

What?
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry Mr Kim. Can you post a link to the SQL that you mentioned so us poor slubs don't have to go hunt it down?
-craig

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I forgot search is a advanced concept.

viewtopic.php?t=96760

I think the path is included in the file name. You would need to look for slashes (either \ or / based on the OS). The absence of slashes says the file is in the project directory. The # should exist in a parameterized version. It should be easy to check for these before promoting the job to a production environment. If you have several DS developers then assign one to promote jobs and QA them. Make sure all ETL standards are met before promoting the job.
Mamu Kim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:lol: Some days, yes. Especially with a prolific poster like yourself, gives one alot of hits to wade through. Just trying to help out our fellow forum dwellers.

Ah yes... that post, I remember it well. Thanks. :wink:
-craig

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Mr. Craig. :lol:
Mamu Kim